NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 11th, 2016, 18:04
NAXJA# 2091

OEM battery surgery, or how to salvage a dead OEM battery

If you want to learn how to revive a dead or dying OEM Jeep XJ battery, as in the tech of how to do it, check out this so called non tech thread in the non tech section of Naxja!!!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...y+desulfa tor

Warning this thread may self destruct at any time.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old April 11th, 2016, 20:51
Mostly Harmless

Re: OEM battery surgery, or how to salvage a dead OEM battery

I take it that means three years later and you are still happy with the results.

Like you I have a small fleet going. Have you gone out and purchased one of these for every vehicle? Or are you just using one in the garage and rotating batteries through? If the latter, do you have an interval on which you operate? Or do you just apply as needed?
Old April 12th, 2016, 14:42
NAXJA# 2091

Re: OEM battery surgery, or how to salvage a dead OEM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I take it that means three years later and you are still happy with the results.

Like you I have a small fleet going. Have you gone out and purchased one of these for every vehicle? Or are you just using one in the garage and rotating batteries through? If the latter, do you have an interval on which you operate? Or do you just apply as needed?
I have mostly new batteries and all the rigs get at least started 1/week or daily now. I did find out that I needed to use a maintainer at the same time if I intended to use a defaulters. I think once the battery is desolated all it needs is a maintainer/charger. In fact some desulfaters will damage the battery plates if it is used too long, like weeks non stop. I think some of the units are both in one rig. I forget. But a desulfater by itself for weeks with out charging the battery will da=rain the battery
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091