• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator... The Upgraded '98 Dakota won't fit my '96XJ

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Although I read and re-read to make sure it should be a direct fit, I purchased the '98 5.9 Dakota 139A Alternator to replace my failing OE 90 amp unit. The new one is too large in diameter and won't fit. I've tried grinding the mount and the new alternator unit to no avail...

Can anyone HELP ME!!!!! My XJ is sitting 1/2 in and out of my garage as this was suppose to be a quick fix.

Any suggestions? I really can't afford to buy another new alternator since this one cost me $170 + core... and since I've grinded on it I doubt Autozone will exchange/return this one.

Redsnake said:
Although I read and re-read to make sure it should be a direct fit, I purchased the '98 5.9 Dakota 139A Alternator to replace my failing OE 90 amp unit. The new one is too large in diameter and won't fit. I've tried grinding the mount and the new alternator unit to no avail...

Can anyone HELP ME!!!!! My XJ is sitting 1/2 in and out of my garage as this was suppose to be a quick fix.

Any suggestions? I really can't afford to buy another new alternator since this one cost me $170 + core... and since I've grinded on it I doubt Autozone will exchange/return this one.

I am using the same alternator right now. I took the mounting bracket off and withthe aid of an angle grinder, went to work on the bracket. I did not grind on the alternator. Reason being if I have to change the alternator in the future, it would be a direct fit/replacement.

I literally just went through this same procedure Thursday last. I was not prepared for the situation either. Should be more info on how it's not a direct bolt in. I was laying out in my driveway in a puddle with a snow squall going on around me. Was almost hypothermic when I was through. I got it to fit eventually but it wasn't easy. I ground what I thought was hitting but by the time I was at that stage it was dark and was not able to get a good look. I am waiting on a new set of mains from 5-90 and when I get them I plan on removing the alt again and swapping the pulley which I should have done in the first place, as well as doing some more strategic grinding. Try to remain calm and take your time, trust me, I know how you feel. It can't be that far from fitting is it? If it helps I removed the sleeve from the top of the alt unit itself in the meantime. Let us know how it goes. By the way I pulled the battery and tray, easier but not easy, its a bitch!

Last edited:
FOLLOW-UP:

OK... I think we need to do an additional write-up on the "direct bolt in" for these alternators.

I ended up using up all my grinding wheel that was for my air-cut-off tool. Then I had to result to pulling what 'wheels' I had for my dremel tool. Those don't work w/a cr@p on auto use other than thin metal cutting. So what I had left were some grinding stones and those aren't worth a darn either. After getting the mounting bracket off and ground down so the Alt would fit... then I mounted that back to the engine and then had to try and grind down what I could of the 'engine' mounting surface (those that have done this will know what I'm talking about). My hands were getting quite fatigued after using a grinder for a couple hours, not to mention my back and legs... I managed to get the top mounting bolt in and then proceeded to the lower. There was about 1/16" needed to line up the bolt, so what I did was use a slightly smaller grade8 bolt and nut, ran it thru and snugged up the alternator. I just didn't have to tools left to grind anymore and had to get up in 5 hrs to get to work. I'll get some more grinding wheels and see if I can grind away more of the mount and line up the bottom mounting hole of the alternator. Problem is I'm simply 'guessing' at where the alt is still hitting since when you put the alt in position it hides the high-spots.

I also removed the battery and tray to get better access. I don't believe I could have removed the factory alt w/out removing the battery.

I also swapped out the OE Alt Pulley to the new unit w/out any problems. Always easier when you have an impact wrench.

If anyone else has any updates on how they did/didn't do it let us know. Perhaps this should be a sticky as to what not/to do on the alternator swaps.

If I had it to do over again... I'd just put in a new 90amp and be done w/it. I could've been done completely in about an hour... versus 5+ hours...

x2 on removing the battery and tray.

Although I think I got my alternator out from the bottom, I had to fanangle it from the top. I believe I also might have unbolted the AC dryer. I forget, this was back in mid august in a CVS parking lot at Midnight in Attica. lol.

Back