• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Lift Kit?

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
I have a lot of problems seeing over my XJs hood when wheeling compared to my YJ. I'm not small, 5'10", yet feel very impared by the length and hieght of the XJs hood. I know you can by lift pucks for wrangler seats, is something similar available for cherockees? Also how hard is it to remove and reinstall the doors on an XJ? Is it practical to do this for evey wheeling trip? Thanks in advance.

At 5' 8" I don't like how low I sit in my XJ seat. I bought one of those cheap seat cushions at Autozone that covers both the seat and back. I folded it so it was double thick and that's what I sit on. It helps. It's not the best way to go, but works for me. I wonder if the pucks for the YJ seats will work for the XJ seats?

Tom

the seats (at least on an '88) bolt to studs that stick up about an inch out of the floor. I doubt there's room for pucks, and they would have to be pretty thin. if you're handy with a welder it wouldn't be hard to whip something up.

as for the doors, the hinges can be modified so that it takes about 20 seconds to remove or attach the door. do a search, there have been some writeups on what you need to do to the hinge. I take my door off for driving around town (no A/C), but i leave it on for wheeling because it would suck to lay it over on a rock with no door to protect you. I'm actually making a removeable door bar so i can have protection and the door off.

Diablito said:
I have a lot of problems seeing over my XJs hood when wheeling compared to my YJ. I'm not small, 5'10", yet feel very impared by the length and hieght of the XJs hood. I know you can by lift pucks for wrangler seats, is something similar available for cherockees? Also how hard is it to remove and reinstall the doors on an XJ? Is it practical to do this for evey wheeling trip? Thanks in advance.

The seat thing is easy to do. All you need is four longer bolts, and four connecting nuts, with a larger internal diameter than the external diameter of your bolts. Just remove the existing bolts and replace them with the longer ones. Slip those connecting nuts over the bolts , and put the seat on top. Secure the seat with the OEM nuts and you are done. An easy 1" "body lift".

If you need a pic, I can snap one for you later today.

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

dellstopjeep said:
i feel the same way, i defintly want to see a pic of how you do this

OK, here are some details and pics:

First of all, you have to remove the nuts which secure the seat. There are four of them.

Then you remove the four bolts from under the body. Go to your local nuts & bolts shop and buy four connecting nuts.

I didn't have time to look for one in my tool box, but it's something like the picture below:

nut.jpg

The connecting nuts should be of a larger internal diameter, than the external diameter of the bolts you removed, so that they can pass over the bolts.

Also, get four bolts, same thread as the ones you removed but longer by the length of the connecting nuts you got.

Then, go back to the truck, insert the bolts from below, pass the connecting nuts over them, then put the seat back into position, and secure everything with the nuts which were holding the seat at its original position.

Here are some pics

Pict0346.jpg

this is the rear corner, towards the driver's door.

Pict0347.jpg

This is the front one, towards the driver's door

Pict0350.jpg

These are the two fronts ones.

I hope this helps

Rgds
--------
John SV1CEC

BrettM said:
the seats (at least on an '88) bolt to studs that stick up about an inch out of the floor. I doubt there's room for pucks, and they would have to be pretty thin. if you're handy with a welder it wouldn't be hard to whip something up.

QUOTE]

or if you can spin a wrench, it's not hard.

I took the studs out, bought longer bolts the same threadpitch, and installed 1" blocks with holes drilled between the seat and floor. Put the bolts in, and you're golden.

No brainer!

BrettM said:
you may have a little more luck searching for "coupling nuts"

Ooops, sorry, English is not my first language, so some times I use the wrong terms, good thing I had the picture and Brett gave you the right term.

Tnx and rgds
--------
John SV1CEC

Back