• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: Broken Tranny Skidplate Bolt

KGNickl

NAXJA Forum User
What do I do if the bolts that hold my tranny up that go into the frame on my 95 XJ broke and the stud that is left is even w/ the frame? Whats the best way to get them out and still be able to put a new bolt back in? I'm sure you all have had this happen. I'm used to breaking bolts that I can heat and hammer out but this has got me because it's in the frame area. Also any ideas on price how much it is to get this fixed by a shop on average?

KGNickl said:
What do I do if the bolts that hold my tranny up that go into the frame on my 95 XJ broke and the stud that is left is even w/ the frame? Whats the best way to get them out and still be able to put a new bolt back in? I'm sure you all have had this happen. I'm used to breaking bolts that I can heat and hammer out but this has got me because it's in the frame area. Also any ideas on price how much it is to get this fixed by a shop on average?
Drill a small hole in the center of it, drill a bigger hole and bigger hole till you're almsot at the threads and then run the right sized tap through it.

Just what Kejtar said, but don't forget to wear (at least) goggles, and long sleeves don't hurt any either! Been there, done that....twice now :)
Jeff

try an ez-out. the right tool for the job. You can pick up a set at most NAPA or hardware stores. Otherwise the afore mentioned way works also.

I'll probally have a shop do it cause I haven't tapped a bolt before and the last thing I want to do is mess it up and have to pay 2x's as much to have my mistake corrected. What do you guys think a shop would charge for this per bolt? Currently 1 bolt broken. Maybe more by the end but i'm not removing anymore cause it's my daily.

Back