• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the YJ rear slip yoke longer?

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it the "YJ rear slip yoke" that is longer than the XJ one?

For some reason, I have been loosing my drive shaft lately, when it slips out. Something is especially strange because I still run a rear sway-bar to limit droop.

Yes, but not much. I believe MaXJohnson measured it at only 3/8" longer. It's real advantage over the XJ yoke is that the throat is more open, allowing a greater operating angle before binding. Large angles will still wear out the u-joint, but at least it can deflect farther without breaking instantly.

IIRC, Mike in NJ is running one... he was telling me about it a while back... RE lists one thats 5/8" longer.. i have wondered if it's actually am OEM piece, and what vehicle aplication it's from.. a scrap yard piece would be cheaper than th e$80 that RE wants...
mike

I actualy came ino posession of two different ones lately......

It is mainly the throat like they listed but I got two yoke from a friend that did some SYE installs this summer and there were two different yokes in the box both from yj's. Alsoi, the 2.5L driveshaft is even longer than the 5 speed one.

sidriptide said:
a scrap yard piece would be cheaper than th e$80 that RE wants...
mike

I sort of recall Rusty was selling it for $36 -- but I haven't checked his web site to confirm. (Might be wishful thinking.)

Back