• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping set up?

SpencerKemp

NAXJA Forum User
so I was looking at setting my xj up for camping I would prefer to sleep in side the car who has some good ideas maybe some photos. would help me out i have a 4 door to help you out. Thanks:exclamati:cheers:

Someone on here posted up a really cool sleeping platform he built that extended from the hatch all the way up to the front seats... maybe you can search and find it.

Air matress.. sleep diagonally if you are too tall.

I'm 6'2 and 240 lbs, and I sleep in the back of my 4door xj just fine. well until I pulled the hatch off then it got a little chilly :D get a good thick blanket or small air mattress and rough it. beats having to break down a tent to get rolling in the AM :D

Yup... I like to take my bench out of the rear and leave the back down when camping/cruising solo.

I move the fronts all the way up and the gear up front/outside when it's time to inflate the air matress... plenty of room.

IMO there are only a few occasions when sleeping in the jeep is better than sleeping in a tent: if you are arriving at camp in the dark and leaving in the dark (or close to it) or if the ground is bad to sleep on (mud/wet snow/etc).

You need to remove the rear bench and move the front seat(s) all the way forward. You then need something to fill the gap between the front and back seats (I use a toolbox and a backpack). You need to ventilate the jeep or the time you save with not having to stow a tent will be spent defogging windows.

I swapped one of my dome-lights with a warm white LED so I can leave it on for reading or whatever without worrying about draining the battery, but wearing a headlamp works as well.

Just cuz you can't fit your tent back in the bag properly..

Saw a sign the other day, just for you Derek.
It said "Free tape with CD purchase"

I measured the back of my jeep with the rear seat folded down, and got a foamy cut to fit exactly. It's also cut horizontally down the middle so that it can fold in half. When folded the foamy fits in the front half of the back, which leaves the back half open for my stuff, and I can still see out the back window when I'm driving. I can either stash my stuff in the front or on the roof rack while I'm sleeping. It works pretty good. Condensation isn't really that big a deal, just crack open a window. I'm 6' tall and can just barely stretch out diagonally in the back. I think it works pretty well. The foamy is super comfy and it's quick and easy to set up.

If its a nice night out, you cant beat a rack on top with an air mattress. Put a small tent up there too if you want but I like the open air.

Some regular mattress that fits for the best nights sleep. Buld a plywood and 2 by 4 platform to sit it on. Mount pulleys to roof so ropes can hoist mattress up out of the way. Thia will keep bedding clean and you can still transport gear under it. Did this with a pickup and a cap. Best all a round setup I ever tried.

How about the tents that attach to the lift gate?

For solo camping, I've always considered removing the passenger seat and the rear bench (base and back) and building a shelf to make the entire area flat and level with the rear cargo area... I'm a little over 6' tall and it seems like the best way to get generous sleeping room, along with maintaining cargo space. Just build it out of well-supported 1/2" plywood and wrap it in carpet if desired (that's what I'm envisioning).

has anyone ever tryed to unbolt the flip up part of rear seat and turning it around and rebolting it does anyone have a pic of it i can see

Back