• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rotating the front housing?

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to rotate my housing to set my caster but cant get the axle to rotate the pinion down.

I'm trying to get to 5 or 6 degrees positive caster i.e lower ball joint forward but the housing wont spin.

i tried a pry bar and jack under the lower control arms and it wont rotate past 4 degrees. i tried it on jack stand and off. i even unhooked the top adjustable control arms and drove backwards a couple inches.

what am i missing? how exactly step by step did others do theres?
o also i tried using a bottle jack to spin it and it would not rotate.

fyi extended lower control arms and adjustable uppers

So the adjustable control arms won't allow you to set the caster?

Are the shocks binding?

If you are only trying to insert or remove shims behind the LCA, a large screwdriver between the LCA and the bucket would move the axle just enough assuming the bolts are loose, to allow the shims to be removed or inserted.

In my case, I first try to get the axle centered with all the CA's attached. Yo set the pinion angle/caster I use a jack under each spring pad and push up just enough to get the bolt out of the UCA (I do have adjustable UCA). I continue to jack under the spring bucket until I get the degree that I want Then adjust the UCA to get the bolt/s in.

If you slack the bolts in the LCA that should help in getting the axle to rotate.

yes i have fixed lowers and adjustable uppers.

my jeep was starting to wonder on the road so i went and checked the caster and my driverside was 5 degrees my passenger was 1 degree.

so i wanted to get them both set back up at 6 degrees like they were 6 months back but i can get the axle to spin for me.

both uppers are detached at the axle side so it is centered by the lower arms now im trying to get it to spin so i can length or shorten my upper arms and bolt them back in. hopefully that makes sense.

i tried under the spring pad but not to sure where? there is not alot on the front of the axle to get a jack or bottle jack on to push the pinion downwards.

i will try to loosen the lower arms back up and see if that helps rotate it.

Ratchet strap from the upper mount to the Xmember.

If you have that much discrepancy between the two........you've got something going wrong.

You need adjustable lowers too.......IMO.

hey thanks to everyone for there help i loosened all bolts and got a new crowbar and put it between the lca and its mount and jacked it up.

was able to get 6 degrees both sides i'll take it for a test drive soon and adjust if need be.

well i test drove after getting the angle to 7 degrees and i got some death wobble.

tomorrow ill try to set it at 5 degrees and see if that helps.

by the way i just installed all new steering... drag link, tre, all is good in bushings and adj trac bar is tight and set my toe in to 1/8.

i am using a clinometer/angle finder app on a phone and checking by setting it on top of the upper ball joint to measure. if i am doing this wrong please let me know.

Back