• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Rear End Swap Questions

Wouldn't go above 30's on stock gears and be able to keep the rig capable for offroad. For just DD and dirt road use probably be fine, but there will be a point where 3.55's just won't do. Good luck with the rig!

I'd have to disagree. yes you are going to want to go deeper gearing but it is not 100% necessary. I have a friend that has been wheeling on 35s with stock gearing for a few years. Yes it leaves something to be desired but it's still doable.

Also there is a guy in the sierra chapter (SN spelling escapes me) that was wheeling 39s and 40s on stock gearing. He broke shafts all the time but he still did it.

I will be running 4.56 on my current and future rigs on 33s.

I'd have to disagree. yes you are going to want to go deeper gearing but it is not 100% necessary. I have a friend that has been wheeling on 35s with stock gearing for a few years. Yes it leaves something to be desired but it's still doable.

Also there is a guy in the sierra chapter (SN spelling escapes me) that was wheeling 39s and 40s on stock gearing. He broke shafts all the time but he still did it.

I will be running 4.56 on my current and future rigs on 33s.

True, you don't have to re gear but you're going to eventually find a time when you need them. I ran stocks gears on my old K5 with 40's but thing was a turd and sh*t broke all the time. Never said it must be done but it behooves anyone to re gear with bigger tires. All you do by running stock gears with bigger rubber is prolong the inevitable and straining other parts.

Only the abs jeeps had d35 in the rear end that late. If there is no abs you should have an 8.25. From the factory at least.

Unfortunately that is not the case. I ordered my 01 without ABS, with the 242 select trac, UpCountry suspension, limited slip and towing package. It came with a D35.

Down Under - SYE is a Slip Yoke Eliminator for the transfer case. It allows for a fixed yoke on the transfer case so you can run a CV driveshaft and the slip is in the driveshaft.

Is your 8.25 open or lsd.
I have an 8.25 but with an LSD. Seems all the export jeeps where fitted with lsd in 8.25'S.
No open centers available in oz!
The spares for 8.25'S in oz are Impossible to get, so I'm stepping back to an open 35 And fitting a lunch box. At least I can get spares a LOT easier out out here.
So now I'm chasing brake etc improvements info on the 35'S.
Is there a simple bolt on disc set up for a bolt Patten match?
Links?...
I hate drum brakes imensly!

ABS was optional from its' introduction, all the way to the end in 2001. Non ABS XJ's were built with both D35 and with Chry 8.25.

Back