• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fj control arms on an xj

Toyota FJ arms? I'd be interested to see if they woudl work. Any pics and comparison shots?

these arms are tube.
From the from axle they end up 1/2 way between the stock mount and the crossmember on the framerail.

kinda like a medium size control arm

i was wondering about how im sposto go about puting them on at the framerail and keeping the axle from gettin all crooked on me

Yeah, he's talking about FJ control arms... You can fab up mounts fab up a bolting system or even partially weld them. Do you have access to welders, grinders and other stuffs... Its a lil labor intensive.

well the uca's are staying the same other than going to tube links. it is my daily driver so i think im going to leave the bushings alone for now but might go to currie jonny joints.

it will be more along the lines of the rustys stuff, in the sence that it will have a big piece of angle and a backing plate that goes on the unibody framerail and have 2 bolts going through connecting the 2 then be plugwelded in a few places for extra insurence(spl?)

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-LT10-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Going to a lower mid-arm and keeping the short upper arm tends to lead to failure.

When you droop your pinion has a habit of pointing down, busting the front ujoint on your driveshaft.

Build one out of tube. Use Currie or RE ends.

Hit the advanced fab forum, look for Paul S, Goatman or Dave Taylor for advice on arm lengths.

pm 'cracker' and ask him about arm lengths, he had a pretty good setup on his last rig.

So, exactly how long are the lower arms you're going to use. There's no ideal length for the upper arms, they just have to relate to the length of the lower arms.

Tera makes a long arm setup that has long lowers and short uppers, and some folks have run that setup, though it's not popular. Bart Jacob competed with his XJ in the early years of rockcrawling competitions with that Tera setup. The problem with the uppers being much shorter than the lowers is that you get a lot of pinion rotation as the axle drops. If you can adjust the arms and limit the suspension travel so it doesn't bind the u-joint at the pinion, it can work.

In your case it would help to know how long those LCA's are. In my setup on the XJ the lowers are 19.5" and the upper is 17.5". On the buggy the lowers are 24" and the upper is 22".

cal said:
pm 'cracker' and ask him about arm lengths, he had a pretty good setup on his last rig.

You think he did?

Was there anything really good on that thing? Why'd he sell it so fast?

:D

Back