• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ba to ax15 swap problem

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0 4wd has the 95ax15e in it now. got a new pilot bushing m.c. and slave cylinder new clutch shift fork throw out bearing everything in the bell housing. put it together (pita) and i cant put it into gear the clutch is not disengaging at all. its a dd so i need it asap any ideas about it. and yes the mc and slave are bled. the pita part was the pilot bushing was tight when in the crank and the pilot shaft didnt want to go in. finally got it together but i had to get it most of the way in and then tighten the bolts to get the trans in the 1/8 inch it needed. (was told by two different trans shops it shouldnt hurt anything.

Did you get the RIGHT pilot bushing? If you use the wrong one, you'll get an interference fit. And no clutch disengagement. And your life will suck real bad. How does the clutch feel? Bleeding them can be a bit of a pain, not as bad as the internal slaves though.

I just did a similar swap, but used an older AX15. Swap went smoothly other than the fact that I didn't know it was a BA to AX15 swap until the T-case linkage failed to line up (bought Jeep without trans...)

ya its the .750 bushing and shaft they were correct the clutch feels firm like it has no air. my 4 wheel drive linkage doesnt work either i dont know what to do with that yet the main pivot rod that the adjuster bolt is on is way to wide, it hits the trans and the other end is maxed pushed all the way in. the bracket doesnt work either but i have to get it driving first so o well.

Did you put the clutch disk in backwards by chance?

Also in regards to the t-case linkage, do you have the cross member/trans mount installed the right way? The only issue I had with getting the T-case linkage lined up was moving the pivot point on the body back ~1". I also had to relocate the cross member holes to the rearward set ~4" back.

However, I used the original t-case linkage from my scrapped 89 AX15 and the original cross member with original trans mount. This probably made it easier when installing it in my 88 BA...

Back