• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake hard lines

thompson97

NAXJA Forum User
i somehow managed to get my hard line from the rear passenger brake to the junction box thing hung up on something yesterday. anyway, i need to get a new line ASAP. any suggestions.

BTW, its for a 8.8.

thanks.

Although I've heard of some dealers who actually stock pre-fittted brake lines, mine is a "real" Jeep dealer and they don't -- they stock the same universal straight lengths you can buy at Pep Boys, etc. Take your old line in and buy the shortest one that's at least as long as your total length.

If you have access to a double flare tool, you can trim it the exact length and reflare. Otherwise, bend it as close to the original shape as possible and try to put the excess length out of the way where it won't get hung up.

all i did was cut the line re flair it and put a coupler on and ran a line from that! u don't have to run a new line from the brake thingy too much work!!

stoney

i'm going to try and salvage the lines that are on there right now. but, can i use a single flare tool? i have only looked at the local advance auto thus far, but that was all they had. it looked to me from a visual inspection, that it would work fine. anyway, if i can't salvage the current lines, i'll probably stop by NAPA and see what they have (pick up a tubing bender) and make some new closer fitting lines. i believe they sell them pre-flared. there is some good info in some of the earlier posts i searched. you guys were very helpful there as well. thanks again.

thompson97 said:
i'm going to try and salvage the lines that are on there right now. but, can i use a single flare tool?

NO!

Absolutely not. With a single flare, the edge of the metal is stretched, and it will crack. That's why they use double flares. If you can't find a double flare tool, use precut lines.

I'm amazed that an auto parts store wouldn't have a double flare tool -- or that they would bother selling a single flare tool, since there's no place on an automobile that uses a single flare tube. Are you certain that wasn't a double flare tool you saw?

Back