• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fumes and weight management

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
First is putting the 96 XJ up on stands. Considering the weight of the engine and that there's no real frame under there, would it be risking bending the body to put the front of the truck up on stands? Doing a lot of front end work right now and I have both front wheels off and two stands positioned supporting the 'frame' rails right where the front doors meet the quarter panels. Have some 2x4s running length wise b/t the stands and rails to spread out the pressure.

And second is a concern I have about the company vehicles I'm asked to drive at work. We have a set of mechanics now that don't fix any problems that deal with fumes getting into the vehicles, and will tell you they're harmless. So recently I'm in discussions with higher ups about how to measure the air quality in the vehicles. The two situations I see most often that allow fumes in are leaky head gaskets dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold, and leaky exhaust manifolds.

So I'm wondering what kind of device do I need to get my hands on to measure these pollutants? Less expensive is good as I'm having to do this myself. Would be ideal if I could maybe just rent something. The device would need to measure carbon monoxide, but hopefully unburned hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides as well.

They sell household CO monitors you could throw in the cab?

And your method with the jackstands is fine. It won't fold like a taco, unless you take the doors off of course. Then it'll implode

I will second the CO detector. Pick one up at the local Home Depot/Lowes/Ace...

If the CO detector takes issue with the fumes then you have something objective to complain about. If management can't grasp that then I expect someone at OSHA could explain it to them in terms they will understand.

Back