• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a Fleet Cherokee

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to an auction that will have several fleet Cherokees. I am mainly interested in the 97-up, but the 95 with 104k looks tempting. I looked at the previous auctions selling list and they had sold Cherokees between $800 and $2k. I really need another vehicle and this seems like a good way to get one at a good price. They are supposed to be regularly maintained.

Some examples:
1999 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 WHITE 114080k
1997 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 WHITE 118427k
1997 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 WHITE 119055k

1995 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 WHITE 104280k
1996 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 WHITE 119381k

My question to you is....Has anyone here bought a fleet vehicle? Cherokee or not, I would like to hear you experiences.

Thank you.

i got a government 97 XJ with 200k on it and it was cleaner than my '00 was with 40k on it. it had obviously been very well kept. even the interior was nice. i was amazed that a vehicle with that many miles could be so clean and run so well. i havent had any problems out of it and it runs like a brand new jeep. im 100% happy with my fleet jeep purchase.

I bought a fleet two door stick with cold ac and ps... it had a 144,000 on the clock, I sold it for what I paid for it about a year later and it was still running strong. Fleet vehicles are always regularly maintained... as a rule. I trust them. This is just one case though

bought a '00' 2dr. GSA special at auction, 80,000 mi. only paid 3500.00.
it was in rough shape, so far complete frt end rebuild, a/c hose, and just added cruise control. next up, 1/4 windows that open.

watch out if its a ex-military type fleet vehicle...We beat the hell outta our vehicles. Chevy AStro driven mainly by our Admin shop to get the mail got its rear view (interior) knocked off, missing about 15% of the steering wheel foam, broken seat belt supports (them little plastic deal bobs that keep the buckle portion upright alongside the seat), filthy inside, but ran good...

You can usually get some pretty good deals. Many gov. agencies spec their vehicles with heavy duty cooling, full skid plates and tow package. I know a few of the agencies out here do.

picked up a 97 with 120k 2years ago for $3k from the state of Colorado.
best 3k I ever spent. it had "an overheating problem", swapped to dual electric fans and it was fixed.

it went through growing pains with all of the sensors at about 120k, but other than that the ac is cold, the t-case engine and tranny all strong.

I would do it again, they are all typically on a maintenance schedule and mechanically sound.

Back