• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

price of an xj

offroadxj07

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I havent been around on naxja for ages. I have come back in search of another xj. I owned a 1991 xj with 6 inch lift, 32s, arbs front/rear, 4.7L hesco stroker, 8000lb winch, custom bumpers and the list goes on. Well I purchased it for 4800 and did a little work to it but this thing was in magnificent condition. The only two problems included a small dent about the size of a quarter and on the piece right above the grill the clear coat was flaking. Being that I was 16 at the time I sold it trying to fulfill my need for speed. I have owned two camaros of which I have loved, but I just cant quit thinking about the good times I had in my cherokee. But back to the point, Ive been looking at selling my camaro and getting another cherokee but now that I look at the prices its like they have skyrocketed... is it possible to find a really good condition cherokee with a nice list of modifications for under 6k?

Ive never seen that site before Ill have to check it out... Just from looking on ebay, autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, and on this site I havent seen many nice ones for under 6k with a nice mod list... I like the yellow one that you showed me tho

Could be worth a one way plane ticket...I drove 4+ hours for the TJ we bought. Got it up on conn. Figured I saved about $2500 from what they were going for around here..

offroadxj07 said:
Okay so I havent been around on naxja for ages. I have come back in search of another xj. I owned a 1991 xj with 6 inch lift, 32s, arbs front/rear, 4.7L hesco stroker, 8000lb winch, custom bumpers and the list goes on. Well I purchased it for 4800 and did a little work to it but this thing was in magnificent condition. The only two problems included a small dent about the size of a quarter and on the piece right above the grill the clear coat was flaking. Being that I was 16 at the time I sold it trying to fulfill my need for speed. I have owned two camaros of which I have loved, but I just cant quit thinking about the good times I had in my cherokee. But back to the point, Ive been looking at selling my camaro and getting another cherokee but now that I look at the prices its like they have skyrocketed... is it possible to find a really good condition cherokee with a nice list of modifications for under 6k?

I got my '96 from Craig's list for $2400 (but the guy was asking $3500...) Anyway, there's a lot of crap on Craig's list, but when you get into the $5-7K range, things start to look a little better. If you search for an already built up Cherokee, you've got to be careful. Before buying mine, we looked at some built ones and since I was so new to the four wheeling world, I wasn't about to buy into something that had parts that I had never heard of. Anyway, they always say build it, don't buy it, now don't they?

Most of the built Cherokees I looked at weren't in good condition because they are used offroad, of course. In my opinion, it would be smarter to buy a cheaper XJ that hasn't been offroad yet or much, and then build it yourself. Instead of paying $6K or so for an already built one, buy one in good condition (if you can find one) for $3-4K and use the remaining money for parts.

Unless you really are in a hurry to have a pre-built Jeep, or you just don't want to take the time to do it yourself... I don't see why you'd want to buy pre-built. You'll never find exactly what you're looking for, most likely, anyway. I looked on Craig's list and the only built ones I could find that were any good were ZJs... just gotta keep lookin'.

Just my .02. Good luck.

The reason I would like a prebuilt one is the fact that the cherokee I bought before was 4800 and he had at least 10k into it... I mean the hesco 4.7L stroker alone was like 4k installed... I guess I just got lucky with that deal.. Building one on my own just wont give me the modifications I want... If I end up building one on my own I will probably just be looking at a good condition cherokee with about 80k miles a lift tires and bumpers with a few smaller modifications to suspension and all... and going to that from what I had is just like downgrading so much... I will miss my lockers to much... With the hit of a switch I could crawl over anything

offroadxj07 said:
The reason I would like a prebuilt one is the fact that the cherokee I bought before was 4800 and he had at least 10k into it... I mean the hesco 4.7L stroker alone was like 4k installed... I guess I just got lucky with that deal.. Building one on my own just wont give me the modifications I want... If I end up building one on my own I will probably just be looking at a good condition cherokee with about 80k miles a lift tires and bumpers with a few smaller modifications to suspension and all... and going to that from what I had is just like downgrading so much... I will miss my lockers to much... With the hit of a switch I could crawl over anything

Well, it's hard to help you out considering that your last XJ sounded like a great deal. You don't come across stuff like that every day. Like I said, you can look for prebuilt ones, but if you want all the options you said your last XJ had... good luck finding a winner.

Back