• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

That is your issue. You don't pull your rod onto the thin stuff. You let your puddle "wicK" onto the edge. Baisicly wrather than let the rod burn into the sheet metal you let the maltent pool of metal you are pushing around, flow onto the edge and it burns in. It's sheet metal so you are not looking to penetrate the steel, your just looking to fuse it together.

-Chris.

Hmmm, I see what you mean, I'll have to remember that next time I have to fight something that thin.

Thumbs-up.jpg

Todays update:

Finished welding the brackets in place, patched a hole in the firewall I burned when tacking things in place, gonna wire wheel em then through some primer on tomorrow, then onto the lower pivot bolts, tranny tunnel bolts, patch a rust hole in the floor, weld in the 97+ seat bracket, do the firewall mods, door latch posts.......etc etc

Oh and just so no one thinks I'm a slacker I did a liberty diesel timing belt this morning.

Todays update:

Finished welding the brackets in place, patched a hole in the firewall I burned when tacking things in place, gonna wire wheel em then through some primer on tomorrow, then onto the lower pivot bolts, tranny tunnel bolts, patch a rust hole in the floor, weld in the 97+ seat bracket, do the firewall mods, door latch posts.......etc etc

Oh and just so no one thinks I'm a slacker I did a liberty diesel timing belt this morning.

Want to do the timing belt on my KJ :D

You are not Sir Sam on LOST are you?

Holy Grail of door panels? Power windows/locks are hard to find for 2 doors?

Yes very. Been looking for years, only found 2 2-doors in the junkyards, both already had the window switch part molested. Right now I am the envy of the 97+ MJ people.

Bow down to my door panel 97+ MJ converters!

got a wildernest topper last year in august of 2017. And then finally got rid of the other shell on CL. Turns out the old one fit a longbed toyota truck perfect.

IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

Rolled the MJ into the garage and started prepping the KJ axle, got the KJ brackets - lower control arm, shock mount, and spring pad cutoff, and I am half done grinding the tube smooth.

Brackets to cutoff:

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

Spring pad cleaned up:

IMG_1361.JPG

Everything cutoff:

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

In preparation for installing the axle I sprayed the leaf springs. They were basically bare steel, or one step above it. So I prepped them by cleaning with Acetone and a microfiber rag. I had a ton of high temp rustoleum black around so I used that, hit the leaves with a bunch of coats of. Might not be the best prep or cleanup or even paint for the long term, but its gotta be better than bare and I'll its under the jeep anyway.

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

Good work! It looks like you're making America great again! ;)

I subscribed, the project is quite interesting. I'd love to find an old MJ to work up.

So does this thing run? Some of the updates kinda jump around. Very cool buildtho. Always really liked that little Fiat diesel.

Its actually a VM Motori diesel.

No this engine has not run yet, been sitting 15+ years now. I have so much stuff to do on this project the "get engine ready to attempt first fire is pretty far down the line.

Realistically at this point if it turned out my engine was trash I would just throw a 4L in and be done sooner. Going through the process to prep the engine for start needs to happen at some point. However I have so many things I can work on before then that I would be doing if I were converting to a 01XJ 4L setup that I can still work on those.

Heck I was hoping I would have the axle in this weekend, and that didn't happen.

Back