• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will TJ front bumps work in XJ

The_Punisher

NAXJA Forum User
I want to run these in the front of my 1997 XJ https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssf-406-54/

Best I can tell, the front XJ bumps (diameter) changed in 97. But I cannot find whether front bump stops for a TJ will fit in an XJ.

The inside diameter of the tube my front bump stops go into seems to be about 1.5" (measuring in the cold snaking a tape measure through the coil spring)

The jounce cups are different sizes, or at least they were on my 91.

Jounce_Cups_Compared.sized.jpg

On mine the jounce cup was welded to the bump tower. I cut just below the weld and ground it smooth, then tapped the washer/plate for 10mm, and then was able to bolt the TJ jounce to the tower.

Jounce_Cup_Replaced.sized.jpg

Running ACOS now, interesting it gives the same set of instructions

The jounce cups are different sizes, or at least they were on my 91.

Jounce_Cups_Compared.sized.jpg

On mine the jounce cup was welded to the bump tower. I cut just below the weld and ground it smooth, then tapped the washer/plate for 10mm, and then was able to bolt the TJ jounce to the tower.

Jounce_Cup_Replaced.sized.jpg

Running ACOS now, interesting it gives the same set of instructions

Thanks a bunch. This is the info I couldn't seem to find. What year TJ and what year XJ?

hockey pucks from the bottom work well, just stack them until you limit travel to where you want it.

Length/height isn't my issue. I'll already be using pucks to adjust full bump (along with some sumo springs). These sumo springs work extremely well as a poor mans air bump. I have some for the front already, but if these would just pop right in it would be worth it for me.

What are sumo springs?

Back