• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ - Project Pennyless - Multipurpose Build

Aurora

NAXJA Forum User
This thread should have been started a few months back when I bought the Jeep, but alas here we are several months down the road.

Purchased: 99 XJ Sport - Black Exterior
  • 200k km ~ 125k mi
  • What appears to be mostly a Rough Country 4.5" kit
  • Soft 8's with BFG KM2's 33"x10.5" (somewhat used)
  • RE Adj. Trac Bar
  • Trimmed fenders
  • A/C didn't work
  • Front axle u-joints were toast
  • Ugly front bumper
  • A/C didn't work
  • Hatch wouldn't open
  • Floor pans were toast (found this out after purchase)
  • You could say it leaked a little oil
Intentions:

My best friend in college had one of these and I just loved it. I don't really know why, because I hadn't ever been into the 4wd hobby (mostly import hot rods). I didn't want to spend the money on another F-150 to get some relief from having to drive my STI anytime I wanted to leave. It also gets bad in the winter once in a while and as I live kinda off the beating path something utilitarian and capable was of interest.

Suffice to say, the purchase price wasn't bad but it's turned into a much bigger project than I had anticipated.

Parts I've Replaced:
  • Heater Core
  • Condenser
  • Evaporator
  • Drier
  • A/C Lines
  • PS Pump
  • PS Pump Hoses
  • Motor Mounts
  • Trans Mount
  • Rear Main Seal
  • Oil Pan Seal
  • Oil Filter Housing O-Rings
  • Motor Oil and Filter
  • Trans Oil and Filter
  • Transfer Case Oil
  • Front Diff Oil
  • Front Axle U-Joints
  • Front Inner Axle Seals
  • Upper and Lower Ball Joints
  • Front Hubs
  • Rotors
  • Pads
  • Calipers
  • Extended Front Brake Lines
  • Blower Motor Resistor
  • Front Floor Pans
  • 3-Layer Interior Insulation
  • JCR Console Mount
  • Front Markers Housing (Smoked)
  • Turn Signal Housing (Smoked)
  • Wipers
  • Lug Nuts
  • Rear Sway Delete
On Hand - To Be Installed:
  • HD SYE Kit
  • Ruff Stuff OTK Y-Link Steering
  • Soft 8's with 33"x12.50" Cooper STT Pro's
  • Rear Extended Brake Lines
  • Extended Parking Brake Cables
  • RE 3.5" Leafs
  • RE Shackles
  • RE U-Bolts
  • Magnaflow Muffler
  • WJ Black Leather Seats
  • Seat Heaters
  • Overhead Console
  • 12" Memphis Sub in Truck Box or 8" JBL in Stealthbox
  • Rugged Ridge Mats
  • Tail Lights (Partially Smoked)
Still To Be Determined:
  • Bilstein 5100's to replace the aged Rough Country shocks?
  • OTA Tracbar Mount (JKS doesn't work, maybe Ruff Stuff) and Fab'd Link - Likely from Ruff Stuff DOM Leftovers
  • Made Template for Rear Quarter Armor - Need to Order
  • Finalize Audio - 6.5's in Front Doors and Headliner?
  • Find Replacement for Existing Junk Headunit
  • LED Replacement Bulbs for Everything (Interior and Exterior)
  • HID or LED Headlights - Can't Seem to Decide
  • Front Bumper - I'm digging the Tuff Stuff Winch Bumper
  • Winch - With Bumper Purchase
  • Long Arms - Probably Down the Line

Pics Coming Shortly

Last edited:
2n1dpwy.jpg

2mycdau.jpg

2yw5stf.jpg

snjjo2.jpg

28i9bn8.jpg

2ntfvpz.jpg

2m4oe2r.jpg

2llgf0x.jpg

118d10z.jpg

WOW - what a great build!

Where did you get the insulation? I'm going to be POR15'ing the interior and installing a cage and would LOVE to install insulation as well.

Thanks for the kind words. It's about worthless thus far, but I'm hoping to get it much further along over the weekend and tomorrow's day off. :thumbup:

I went with the 3-layer approach:

Top Layer: Mass Loaded Vinyl
Isolation Layer: Closed Cell Foam
Bottom Layer: Butyl/Foil Mat (Like Dynamat)

The Butyl/Foil and Closed Cell Foam I used are both Noico products. I found them on Amazon and the pricing is quite good.

The Mass Loaded Vinyl was a little trickier. I had to go to eBay for it and bought what appears to be way too much. It's kind of expensive in comparison.

I finished up the foam today and got pretty far with the vinyl. Hopefully I can get some pics up tomorrow.

You may have bought a y-steering set-up, but you've got it installed as a "inverted t" set-up!

Thanks for the kind words. It's about worthless thus far, but I'm hoping to get it much further along over the weekend and tomorrow's day off. :thumbup:

I went with the 3-layer approach:

Top Layer: Mass Loaded Vinyl
Isolation Layer: Closed Cell Foam
Bottom Layer: Butyl/Foil Mat (Like Dynamat)

The Butyl/Foil and Closed Cell Foam I used are both Noico products. I found them on Amazon and the pricing is quite good.

The Mass Loaded Vinyl was a little trickier. I had to go to eBay for it and bought what appears to be way too much. It's kind of expensive in comparison.

I finished up the foam today and got pretty far with the vinyl. Hopefully I can get some pics up tomorrow.

Awesome! Thanks for the information, I am going to copy this! :) If you end up having too much, I can probably buy the remaining mass loaded vinyl off of you to help you cover your costs. :)

RCP - I see what you're saying. I guess I'm a little confused/frustrated as to why all the aftermarket kits like this seem to be using the inverted T style in replacement of the more factory-esque Y style. I emulated what seems to be the status quo and now to reverse it I'd need to order another tube or two of tubing.

In other news, with the help of a friend I got the Tcase out and swapped in the SYE kit. Those lock rings were a real pain to deal with until I went and got a set of "lock ring pliers".

While I was waiting on the silicone to set, we started on the replacement of the e-brake cable. The drivers side one wasn't nearly long enough after the lift. After pulling off the drum I could see how bad of shape the shoes were in. I'll be ordering an overhaul kit for that. It probably wouldn't hurt to do the wheel bearing and wheel seal while I've got it apart. Anything else you guys might suggest while I'm back there?

We also started tackling the replacement of the rear leafs. Lets just say this is going to be a way bigger deal than I had imagined. Those sleeves are definitely stuck on the bolts.

Pictures to come shortly.

From what I understand stock jeep steering is inverted T, and most of the aftermarket steering is Y-link. I don't know why all the pirate goons are clowning on it. The stock style steering is horrible, massive toe-in with any suspension travel.

From what I understand stock jeep steering is inverted T, and most of the aftermarket steering is Y-link. I don't know why all the pirate goons are clowning on it. The stock style steering is horrible, massive toe-in with any suspension travel.

Youv'e got it backwards, in a y-link the draglink goes from the pitman directly to the knuckle. In a inverted-t, the draglink connects to the tie rod!

Found the remains of the steering spacer..

20z4apt.jpg

New Wheels/Tires are looking good!

mcw8hz.jpg

Bilstein's came in.

15zip21.jpg

Getting close to done with the final layer of insulation (MLV).

308ic7d.jpg

2coojgh.jpg

Some sideways pics of the leaf spring destruction.

33f99bp.jpg

o714dt.jpg

30c40ap.jpg

Drums are looking pretty rough. Rebuild em' or do a disk swap?

24fijp2.jpg

2zid088.jpg

Last edited:
Pick up a steering box brace(well worth it), and consider a full WJ/KJ disc brake set-up as it would solve your steering issue besides the great brakes! With my gearing it was next to impossible to hold the jeep in place!

I didn't see gears in your want/to do list?

Last edited:
I must have missed that on the initial list. Unfortunately I can't go back and edit now. I got a reman'd steering box, pitman arm, and steel steering spacer with new gr. 8 hardware.

I actually started looking at rear disc options to compare with just doing the maintenance on the drums. I had seen the WJ upgrade but hadn't seen anything on the JK parts. I'll have to take a look.

Gears/lockers are probably in the "down the line" department. It doesn't do too bad on 33's thus far. But when I go that I want to do it once and do it right which will probably be a few $$. I'm really trying to get it back to being road worthy before it gets too cold, but somehow I just keep finding issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
Back