• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
First it seems I’m in a small group of Wagoneer XJ Limited owners. Although there are many similarities to the Cherokee, the differences are frustrating for a restoration/preservation build. So… All help is welcome!

Photos of Day-One:

Left_Front111_zps7ec4c1c7.jpg

Back_zpsfa4b1aa9.jpg

Dash_zps2f32373a.jpg

Drivers_zps8b1b2786.jpg

Passengers_zps6d9f1663.jpg

passengers1_zps0b46f75f.jpg

That thing is super clean, good find. How many miles? If I had that I would put a small budget boost on it, some 31's, a nice stereo and daily drive the hell out of it... in 80's comfort and style!

Very clean. Please don't chop it all to pieces and ruin a nice Waggy. Do like the other guy said and run a budget boost and some tires no bigger than 31's and enjoy driving it.

Previous owner: New exhaust system, brakes, tires. I’ve had all the undercarriage seals replaced to eliminate any leaks. No undercarriage rust. The rear bumper brackets were rusted and replaced; I also replaced the front bumper brackets in preparation of new bumpers.

The only other rust is on the backside of the rockers which I’ll replace when it’s time to do a complete re-paint.

As far as the fog-lamps… Although the covers are stamped Jeep… The lamps themselves don’t match the OEM part number. But I have a set of OEM/NOS including Jeep covers for the restoration.

nice wagoneer, seems to be in good nick for a resto' - what's she like underneath?

BTW, Love the 'Jeep' foglamp covers

Previously one-family ownership... Until the last family member who didn't have the emotional attachment and sold it to me knowing it would be a restoration project. 84k miles.

That thing is super clean, good find. How many miles? If I had that I would put a small budget boost on it, some 31's, a nice stereo and daily drive the hell out of it... in 80's comfort and style!

No chop-chop unless it's stock! :D :nono: :D

Very clean. Please don't chop it all to pieces and ruin a nice Waggy. Do like the other guy said and run a budget boost and some tires no bigger than 31's and enjoy driving it.

WOW

i wish i had never built mine....but then i remember all the fun i had in it

great waggy...i'd lover a stocker to restore and drive

Man that's real nice wish mine looked that nice inside. I decided to keep my "88" stock with no lift so far after owning it for a year just the normal drive train(ujoints) and renix problems Grounds, idle, ect. nothing real bad at all I have 240+ on my waggy one thing I'd watch for is the floor panel just above the muffler they like to rust out there. Keep the wood panels alive man:yelclap:

Jeeppics008.jpg

Last edited:
First it seems I’m in a small group of Wagoneer XJ Limited owners. Although there are many similarities to the Cherokee, the differences are frustrating for a restoration/preservation build. So… All help is welcome!

Welcome to the 87 Wagoneer club!!!!! I'd be glad to do an even swap with you? My 87 Wagoneer only has 287,000 miles and seriously needs a paint job now, and.......

LOL!!!

How much did it cost you?

What's money when it's your passion! :laugh3:

Welcome to the 87 Wagoneer club!!!!! I'd be glad to do an even swap with you? My 87 Wagoneer only has 287,000 miles and seriously needs a paint job now, and.......

LOL!!!

How much did it cost you?

It is called a road block when you don't have any, LOL!:laugh3:

The tear-down begins:
IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Found the Build-Sheet!

XJBuildSheet_zps63485cd8.jpg

NOS (New Old Stock) & New OEM After-market:

Here's my collection so far...
XJStuff010_zps0e512f38.jpg

01) Grill-insert
02) Headlight-bezels
03) Side (orange) marker lamps
04) In-grill (clear) marker lamps
05) For-lamps (original OEM) & Covers
06) Side-mirrors (chrome)
07) Exterior door-handles (chrome)
08) Chrome-bumper
09) Bumper-guards
10) Bumper-end-caps
11) Vent-window-handles (chrome)

XJStuff037_zps9ea0172a.jpg

Instrument-cluster-bezel (includes section under the steering column)

Untitled_zpsa61512e2.jpg

NOS Badges

Picture010_zpse8cd76b9.jpg

NOS steering-wheel

Back