• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel injector swap

btam13

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a question for those that have swapped out injectors. 1990 XJ 4.0 Is it possible without too much difficulty to swap the injectors without disconnecting the fuel line in and fuel line out of the rail?

The connection from the fuel line to the rail can swivel, so no problem! I just swapped in new injectors and you don't need to disconnect it.

Well, just got done with it. Other than breaking the plastic vacuum line that goes from the MAP sensor to the throttle body off flush with the throttle body, no problems. Only took 2hrs to complete and 20 min of that was spent boring the broken off piece of plastic vacuum line out of the rubber fitting on the throttle body so I could press what was left back in. Oh, and a word of advice to all who want to try this, make sure all of your old o-rings are accounted for. I had 2 stay in the fuel rail. 1 I realized and removed and the other I missed and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get the new injector to seat in all the way. Also, if it is in the way and can be unbolted or disconnected and moved, do so. Even take off the bracket on the throttle body for the trans cable. 3 torq screws hold it on. Makes the job a lot easier when you have as much room to move the fuel rail as you can get. No need to remove the fuel lines going into the rail, but I would imagine that if you are not careful, you may cause the o-rings in the fittings to start leaking if you move the lines around too much or don't pay attention to how you are bending them. Great! I have fresh #19 ford yellow top injectors in my XJ now!!!!!!!!!!!! One last thing, make sure to unbolt the hold down that holds the fuel line going to the fuel rail to the manifold. The bolt is under that funky vacuum block at the front.

Back