• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Filters

Fozzy

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a quick couple of questions about air filters...

1)i have access to a used K&N aftermarket filter that came off a TJ, will this work on my XJ, believe they are both the 4.0L motors
2) what exactly is a "homebuilt FIPK" (did a search on both google and this board)

just lookign for some info, thanks.

1. There's a good chance, but I wouldn't know for sure. But K&n "filters" can hardly be called filters. I ran one and I found dirt in my intake. Never again.
2. It's a el cheapo intake that uses pvc pipe or exhaust tube with a cone filter stuck on the end. I used to run one of those but it sucked too much hot air and got wet to easily.

So I went back to the stock airbox and fram air filter element.

Just take out the restrictor in the top of the airbox and make the square on the front bigger.

agreed, get a good quality paper filter and call it a day. You can't have adequate filtration and let more air through with the same physical size. If you want to flow more air and keep stock levels of filtration the size must be increased.
The stock air box is just fine and dandy, About the only fault I can se with it is the corrugated rubber hose, and the sharp bend into the TB.
Perhaps you can mate some smooth ABS pipe to the stock airbox and eliminate the turbulence in the intake.

check out Bob is the Oil Guy website. He (they) do a great real-life comparison of different air filters. Changed my mind about "high flow" filters. Now I run NAPA stock filters in a somewhat modified stock air box. I made a panel of a piece of sheetmetal covered on both side with that silver mylar bubblewrap that fits the side of the air box next to the exhaust header, all the way down to the pinch weld seam on the top on the fender. This helps to keep intake air coming in from the front, and not drawing from the hot engine bay. I drilled a couple of extra 1" holes in the front of the box to allow more airflow--I don't go into deep H20, so I'm not concerned with keeping it sealed.

Killed 2 sets of rings on my fourwheelers (both bikes burned up at about same time, both using K&N filters, trails here are very very dusty in summer) and open element filter kept gettin wet on the heep, no more K&N BS for me.

I gots me a snorkel now!

Back