• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stop-clunk, get going-clunk

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
99XJ, 135K, stock.
This clunk feels and sounds exactly as what the transmission does when you put it first into drive from neutral.
It happens immediately after I stop for some reason (engine still running, transmission in D, foot on brake pedal...), lets say at a stoplight, then this is the first thing I feel the when I get going. No shifting issues otherwise...
Can anyone help me identify this problem?
Thanks, Boris

When the rear leaf springs cycle in an out compressing and and being pulled by stopping and starting the drive shaft is a slip yoke style and it has a tendency to make a slight clunk when you stop and the rear of the vehicle come to rest and when you take off it will do the same. This noise to me is normal and my 2001 XJ makes it. If it really bothers you that bad get a slipyoke eliminator.

JJ01XJ said:
When the rear leaf springs cycle in an out compressing and and being pulled by stopping and starting the drive shaft is a slip yoke style and it has a tendency to make a slight clunk when you stop and the rear of the vehicle come to rest and when you take off it will do the same. This noise to me is normal and my 2001 XJ makes it. If it really bothers you that bad get a slipyoke eliminator.

Phew
Thanks. No it does not bother me as long as it is normal. I was afraid of transmission failure.
Boris

Uh you're going to want to inspect a couple more things as well. Like your transmission mount and engine mounts. Then check your leaf spring bolts as I sheared one of mine and it made that noise. Then grease your slip yoke.

It's the drive shaft slip joint.

What's happening, is the grease inside the slip joint right behind the transfer case has dried out. As you are braking, the Jeep is trying to scrunch slightly together, and this joint would normally just slip in. The joint is locked in place, until there is enough force on it to push it in, and it makes this noise. Also occurs when accelerating as the joint is trying to pull apart.

The only real fix for this is to pull this joint apart, and re-lubricate it. You will not fix this by spraying something in the joint.

This will only occur on 1996+ Jeeps, as this joint used to be inside the transfer case prior to this.

This can re-occur, and is a common complaint in many 96+ Jeeps. I fixed mine permanently (well, 6 years now) by using Permatex Silver Antiseize.

kbeckman said:
It's the drive shaft slip joint.

What's happening, is the grease inside the slip joint right behind the transfer case has dried out. As you are braking, the Jeep is trying to scrunch slightly together, and this joint would normally just slip in. The joint is locked in place, until there is enough force on it to push it in, and it makes this noise. Also occurs when accelerating as the joint is trying to pull apart.

The only real fix for this is to pull this joint apart, and re-lubricate it. You will not fix this by spraying something in the joint.

This will only occur on 1996+ Jeeps, as this joint used to be inside the transfer case prior to this.

This can re-occur, and is a common complaint in many 96+ Jeeps. I fixed mine permanently (well, 6 years now) by using Permatex Silver Antiseize.

x2 i second this man's advice as I myself have had this happen. sounds real similar. could be anything but this is one of the things i would check first. pack that slip joint with some grease in the splines.

Could be. I'm not sure if the '99 was the same design or not.

My '96 did not have a grease fitting there, but was greased. I initially tried spraying it with lube, which didn't help at all. I then pulled it apart and re-grease it with standard bearing grease and it worked for about 6 months and then came back again. The Locktite Antiseize Silver idea came from a Chryser mechanic who was aware of the problem. Here is a link to the stuff:

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?&pageid=19&layout=3

The product number is 80209

mine is doing that when it stops and I don't have a slip yoke....it will drop slightly when you finally come to a complete stop....found a busted shock! I think that when the rear raises during stopping and it finally stops it pops in the shock and clunks down....

don't know if that the same thing you're getting...but you might want to check the shocks while you're down there!

yeah ...at least I am...I've seen picture of the slip yoke...I think...isn't it the part in the center of the drive shaft the slide back and forth and has a grease fitting?

hmm... mine has been making that sound for a couple months. I thought it was the driveshaft knocking the tranny crossmember, but it cleared fine. got under and checked all the bolts around the crossmember area (replaced it a couple months before the sound started). didn't fix it. I can feel the "clunk" through the floor, though.

anything else I could look at instead of the slip yoke? just trying to eliminate all the possibilities. seems to happen when the torque load changes significantly.

whatevah said:
hmm... mine has been making that sound for a couple months. I thought it was the driveshaft knocking the tranny crossmember, but it cleared fine. got under and checked all the bolts around the crossmember area (replaced it a couple months before the sound started). didn't fix it. I can feel the "clunk" through the floor, though.

anything else I could look at instead of the slip yoke? just trying to eliminate all the possibilities. seems to happen when the torque load changes significantly.
u joints
trans mount
motor mounts

Mine used to make that noise, until I realized I was running Chrysler ATF+3 in the tranny (it actually came that way from the factory as I'm the original owner!). Once I changed it the proper Dexron III all is perfectly smooth as it should be.

My xj used to do this also when I had a broken rear leaf spring. When I would take off and when I would come to a stop. I put a 4 inch lift kit on my jeep and with it came new leaf springs. Problem fixed. yahoo!!! And I sit higher off the ground. yahooo!!! scarier off camber???

Swabby

Back