• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire balancing for those who wheel

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering how everyone that wheels keeps there tires balanced? i just threw some sand in mine when i was mounting them, if i could do it over tho i would go with BBs because sometimes if i let air out or put air in my tire then a peice gets in the valve and gets stuck. on realy big tires ive heard of people using golf balls even, anyone tried antifreeze either? just wondering what every one does.

kolby

lankchevy said:
just wondering how everyone that wheels keeps there tires balanced? i just threw some sand in mine when i was mounting them

Maybe Fred Flintstone used sand but most of us have our tires balanced on a high-speed balancing machine. You might have noticed how some (mostly all) wheels have lead weights attached to the rims...works a lot better than sand.

I actually get mine balanced. I just don't expect a very good balance or for it to hold for very long.

When it gets real bad on the road, I get them balanced again.

35 TrXus on AR767 15x8's.

lankchevy said:
just wondering how everyone that wheels keeps there tires balanced? i just threw some sand in mine when i was mounting them, if i could do it over tho i would go with BBs because sometimes if i let air out or put air in my tire then a peice gets in the valve and gets stuck. on realy big tires ive heard of people using golf balls even, anyone tried antifreeze either? just wondering what every one does.
There was a thread not too long ago posted by someone who did the bb balancing and in a long run things didnt work out too well. Anyways I heard someone using shops at truck stops for balancing tires. Anyways, big question is what is the size of your tire?

First you need to buy some quality tires: GY's, BFG's and maybe the Traxus MT's

Second get them at a shop that offers free tire balancing

Third there are a few shop, like American/Discount Tire, that offer really good tire warrenties due to punctures.

With free tire balancing, get them balanced every 6 months at a minimum.

Lastly make sure you junk is aligned properly. Why would you expect the balance to be on when the tires wear uneven.

I may be misreading the question, but he seems to be asking for those who wheel a lot. Which means, those who knock their balancing weights off a lot or have an aired-down tire shift on the rim (thereby making the balancing weights ineffective).

In my old rig I ran four golf balls in my 38.5 SX and my 37 MT/Rs. Not perfect, but good enough to drive on the street without excessive vibration.
dion

The only way to keep them balanced when you air down and wheel a lot is to have a lifetime rotate and balance policy.
Many years ago when my XJ was stock I purchased a lifetime alignment policy.
Now I just bring the Jeep in when ever I think the Jeep needs some attention and it is done for FREE.....

I used to use 4 oz of BBs in each tire, 35 inch Pro Comp Mts, because my brake calipers were too close to the inside of the rim, and it would peel the weights off. It worked pretty well up to around 75 mph, any faster and I would get a slight shimmy. Now I have 16 inch beadlocks, with 36 inch Iroks, balanced on the bubble balancer in the garage.

HTH, Dan

Kinda new to this concept, but, where do the golf balls and bb's go? Inside the tire? Seems like they'd create alot of noise... :shiver:

I have a few friends using counteract (www.counteractbalancing.com) in their tires. You need to put a special valve stem in to stop the beads from clogging it when you air down, but so far they like the stuff. I'm thinking about putting it the XJ tires.

What about "backyard balancing"?

I've heard that there is a way to balance the tire on the axle by letting the heavy part of the wheel rotate/settle to the bottom - then add a weight at the top. Or something like that...read it a long time ago.

Any one know more? Does this redneck balance work for high speed rotation like on the highway?

r@m

I run equal (like a silicon sand used for big truck tires) with steel beadlocks and 35" mtr's works really well so far. the only real complaint I have is with the special valve stems with the screens... it takes forever to ari down. last time I aired down I think I dropped about 2lb in 15 mins

cherokeekid said:
I run equal (like a silicon sand used for big truck tires) with steel beadlocks and 35" mtr's works really well so far. the only real complaint I have is with the special valve stems with the screens... it takes forever to ari down. last time I aired down I think I dropped about 2lb in 15 mins

Did you try pulling the valve core? Thats how I usually do it for quicker air downs.

Dan

accualy the sand works very well for me. if i would have used weights then i would have knocked off a few by now and ive only had it since the begining of summer. what was the long run problem with the bb's?

kolby

I've heard these stories for a while now and I'm kinda baffled by the theory here. What makes you think that adding bbs or any weight rolling around loose in a tire will balance it. Why would these objects mysteriously go to the lightest spot on the tire. Centrifugal force causes rotating objects to go to the farthest spot away from the axis. That is where they will settle at, reguardless of what part of the tire is lightest. If anything that will tend to cause the tire to go further out of balance since this spot will usually be "heavier" anyway.

108466.jpg

Back