• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake lights and reverse lights on at the same time

madmax

NAXJA Forum User
This has me stumped. I hit the brakes, the brake lights and reverse lights come on. I put it in reverse, the reverse lights come on and the brake lights come on.

The only thing I can come up with is crossed wires that I cant find. Bulbs are good, fuses are good. Cleaned the brake switch. I have cleaned the NSS in the passed but its been a few years. Any ideas would be help full

I have tryed to seach the subject but all that comes up is "reverse brake " comes up with noises while backing up

It's a 1992 xj 4dr 4.0l auto 4x4 242 ....canadian spec

Check the ground for the tail light wiring, pull it, clean it, tighten it back down.

As suggested check the ground connection behind the plastic trim panel. (on the drivers side for 92 ?) Inspect any trailer wiring. Inspect the tailgate wire harness near the hinges for damaged wires and/or chafed wire insulation. .

Turns out to be a hack job of melted wires in the passanger side D pillar. Who ever hooked up the trailer harness just butchered it. 2hrs later everything is working as it should

Yikes glad nothing burned, and you found it.

Back