• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help: engine won't run steady or idle

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
So I was running my cb wire through the firewall via one of the large grommets by the steering wheel.

I got the wire through and went to start the engine and it was pulsing in idle, bouncing its RPM. I noticed the vacuum line to the top of the valve cover was out so I put it back in place and then it got worse.

What should I look for? I don't think I cut any wires on accident, there are no error codes and giving her gas just causes the stutter to worsen.

http://youtu.be/BC20-Hiyi5I

ETA: 87 w/4.0L

Last edited:
You get no error codes from Renix.

Did you hit the tube from the throttle body to the MAP sensor in the process?

It's cracked in one spot and sheeted off in another... Where the hell am I going to find a replacement for that? :soapbox:

Now, if replacing that isn't the issue where should I go from there?

I shoulda been a bit gentler than climbing in the engine compartment. :doh:

Stay on the problem at hand!!

You have a known issue which causes gigantic driveability issues as you describe and you're wondering what to do next?

Get a new piece of tubing and fix it. You can't buy new ones.

Bought rigid vacuum line at the LAS and it solved the problem, thankyou good sir!

Now to replace all the dry, brittle and cracked vacuum line I can. LOL

Ok, after running it a bit it steadied out and doesn't bounce around in RPM but now it hesitates when giving it gas then occasionally stays at about 1100 rpm unless I tap the has pedal.

Last edited:
Ever had one of those moments where you tell yourself "don't F'ing do that dummy!"?

Then You ignore yourself?

That's when this shit happens:

So the good news is I know the most likely ten reasons why my engine is running like crap.
Bad news is I have ten wires to cut, solder and then heat shrink over.

Learn from me, listen to your inner warning (and don use a damned drill to get a hole in a rubber grommet right by your bundle of electrical wires.

Yes, common sense
Yes I'm a tard

I put it up as a warning to everyone reading it.

Yep, same batch of wires, I think I'm going to go through all your posts you referenced, eliminating that would be nice!

She's running fine now.

Back