• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp d44 clunk

Shartx24

NAXJA Forum User
i recently developed a clunk in the front of my jeep it sounds like a loose bracket something suspension wise but it goes away when the brakes are applied. i jacked the front end up calipers are tight bearing good i am completely stumped. it clunks all the time turing straight reverse over bumps. not so much on flat ground. any ideas on what to look for?

I installed it myself. It's not the track bar I removed it and it still made the noise. Sometimes it feels like an axle is bent I can feel a little bit of wobble but I'm not to sure. What's making me confused is it goes away with breaks applied. Could a bad locking hub clunk?

You drove it without a tracbar? I'm sure that must have been interesting...

I'm fairly sure a 'bent' axle wouldn't cause a clunk. If the hubs are unlocked while you're driving it eliminates any drive components...

Control arm bushings, tracbar bracket (Frame side), anything that holds the axle in place. Its not doing it when you hit the brakes because thats putting rotational pressure on the axle and holding everything in place and preventing it from clunking around. (Educated guesses here...)

What kind of links do you have? Long arm, short arm, pool noodles? What? We need more information to help you.

Control arm bushings/joints.

My ZJ did that for the longest time, and I replaced EVERYTHING in the (at the time stockish) front end suspension and steering wise except one part, the heim on the trackbar(it was REALLY seized). Once I got it out and replaced it, no more clunk. For the record, it was a horizontal TB mount and a RE 1600 track bar with a standard heim on the frame end.

I still want to know how driving with no tracbar came out...
i did it once about 1/4 mile down the road, couldn't turn for sheet. had to do a 10 pt turn to turn around

Yea...I'm with you. Driving without the trackbar? sheesh. Maybe we have a mis-understanding of terms here?

My guess is control arm bushings...with break pressure...it pushes things against the bushings...otherwise they're riding in the middle.

I still want to know how driving with no tracbar came out...

x2. Having personally guided a Jeep out of the woods with a sheared trackbar (thankfully it was in her own back yard), trying to turn and actually wanting the Jeep to go where you want is damn near impossible. A friend (and member on here) just had his trackbar TRE shear off on the highway, and was damn lucky he didn't completely lose control.

I bet you were going like 12mph too, weren't you? lol
pretty much, it sucked lol.
x2. Having personally guided a Jeep out of the woods with a sheared trackbar (thankfully it was in her own back yard), trying to turn and actually wanting the Jeep to go where you want is damn near impossible. A friend (and member on here) just had his trackbar TRE shear off on the highway, and was damn lucky he didn't completely lose control.

i have no idea how she got out of those tight woods, i could barely turn around in a parking lot let alone navigate through trees and all that garbage they have back there.

It's like 4 times worse with long arms... there's A LOT more side to side movement! If it wasn't for the shocks being attached I'd worry the tires were going to hit the oil pan.

Back