• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough running after 4-lo

LiamN

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this problem for a little while, actually since i got the truck. After i run in 4-lo for a little while, which also means i'm up and down on the skinny pedal, i find if i shut off my 2000 XJ, and restart it a few minutes later i get a rediculous idle, and a sound coming from the engine that reminds me of a go-kart. Huge loss in power, almost like i'm running on two cylinders, and a deathly rumbling coming from the engine.

After moving for a few seconds (generally 30 sec - 2 mins) it's gone! the idle is back to normal, my power is back, and i'm blessed with a "check engine".

Replaced the tps not too long ago, and the last time i had the code read Autozone said it was "cylinder misfire #3". Ideas?

Notes:
1) it will only happen after i run hard in 4x4 (whether lo or hi), and shut the engine off and restart it.
2) The idle jumps up and down as if it was going to stall on the next drop
3) this hasn't caused me to stall yet. will it?

-liam
(edit: meant to post this in OEM tech.)

it sounds to me like the engine is too hot. did you happen to notice what the engine temp gauge said when you restarted it? Too hot will run very rough like that.

No, it runs pefectly at 210.
Keep in mind, this isn't a light rumble.. it's a sound similar to running on two cylinders and the others slapping.

STROKER said:
Your answer is in your question cylinder mifire, could be plugs or a bad ignition pack(if the 2000's have them), cap rotor wires.... I would investigate those things first.

STROKER

Kind of hoping it isn't the coil pack. You can't buy those SOB's individually for 97+. It's one whole pack for all 6 cylinders. it's not too expensive, but excessively expensive for right now.

hmm. Also since this is in Modified tech Discussion.. does anyone know of a link to a write up/build on DIY bumpers? structural strength is more complicated than it looks!

whatevah is on the right track. Mine does the exact same thing while wheelin', I have found that when I shut it off if I flip my fan override switch to cool the engine down a bit, it starts and idles just fine.

Edit: I had a Cyl 3 misfire for a while, I just replaced the plug and it went away.

Back