• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rant - sick people who come to work!

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
The new guy - who they put in the cubicle straight across from me - it coughing so violently that it sounds like he's ready to throw a lung.
I've heard you can actually break a rib if you cough too much ???

Well, I'm like, "Are you okay dude?"
He said "I have pneumonia."
I'm thinking to myself.....okaaaay? WTF!???
I asked him if the Dr. said that he should be at work and he said
"I don't have insurance and I don't have any money to see a doctor."(note: He's a temp-to-hire)

So here he is, hacking up a lung and coughing straight towards me.
I immediately moved across the building to an empty desk.

Stay the *uck home if you're contagious!!!

p.s. Yes, I told the boss, who said he'll "look into it."
I think he should sit beside mr sicko for 5 minutes.

===

well if he wants to keep his job???

what do you do, your a temp (disposable) and want a job.

rock/hardplace.

Hm. I don't know about breaking a rib, but I've gotten concussions from coughing - and they are annoying...

Seems to me that even if you are "temp-to-hire," if you've got a good enough reason (which makes me wonder - how does he know he's got pneumonia if he hasn't been to see an MD?) you'll just get the day off without pay. I've done it before - I don't see any reason to infect everyone else, when I can spend the day in bed with the windows open and the heat off (you get over it quicker if you keep it cold, yourself warm, and the air constantly changing!) and ramp up my fluid intake (to something like four or five gallons of water over the course of the day...)

Call me cranky, but there's just no reason to make everyone else sick. Take the damn day off - if work doesn't understand that, maybe people shouldn't work there...

5-90

5-90 said:
Call me cranky, but there's just no reason to make everyone else sick. Take the damn day off - if work doesn't understand that, maybe people shouldn't work there...

5-90

I agree I get annoyed by people getting sick and coming to work too being a father of a 2 year old i'm more worried about getting the family sick. However i have worked for some places that have been just insane about how they treated new hires. I was a temp to hire once and was late for work when I blew a brake hose on the freeway, I was pulled in the office and told i would be the first person they kept that was a staffing agency person to be late or miss a day. I had to show them all the reciepts from repairs. and i even had to take pictures of the damage to proove to them that it really happened.

I dont work for them anymore, after being there for nearly a year I decided to use them as a stepping stone for experience and now have ended up some where that is working for me way better, and better pay by far too.

5-90 said:
Seems to me that even if you are "temp-to-hire," if you've got a good enough reason (which makes me wonder - how does he know he's got pneumonia if he hasn't been to see an MD?) you'll just get the day off without pay. I've done it before - I don't see any reason to infect everyone else, when I can spend the day in bed with the windows open and the heat off (you get over it quicker if you keep it cold, yourself warm, and the air constantly changing!) and ramp up my fluid intake (to something like four or five gallons of water over the course of the day...)

maybe the problem isn't work understanding....it could be losing a day of pay.

IntrepidXJ said:
maybe the problem isn't work understanding....it could be losing a day of pay.

Ditto, I rarely get really sick, but when I do, it's bad enough that I know better than to try and work. Usually at that point I'm almost worthless as a retail worker anyway so there isn't much point.

When I used to travel I brought home the early version of the 'flu of the year' and just about every other bug you can get in airports, resulted in our family being the healthiest in the area. Combine that with 2 kids in school, wife teaching in the local public germ factory and I figure we have our immune systems about bullet proof...
Then there was the year that our whole batallion and most of the division came down with 'The Flu' one summer two days before annual training ended in Ft Drum NY, suspiciously there was also an active army NBC unit doing 'training' up there out of maryland... alot of us figure they were doing more than training but no way to prove it.. that one kicked everyone butts for 3 to 5 weeks.

Back