• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 renix upgrade exhaust

DarkoShadow

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to soon upgrade my 89 Pioneer renix with as new exhaust header, but am getting mixed information on specific part numbers/brands. I know that to continue to have a functional EGR, it's tube must connect into the exhaust manifold somehow.

But all the upgraded headers if seen either don't have the connecting hole, or reading reviews people complain that some headers may interfere with an AX-15 transmission because their housing sticks a little farther out...
--yes I have the AX-15 (with upgraded exterior slave cylinder)- :greensmok

So, what would correct part numbers/brands can I look into?

If I upgrade will I even need an EGR? - if not should I just buy/make one of those EGR delete plates?
I would like to keep everything as stock as possible, and cut down on emissions - but still want the added HP from a new header.

Cash I have my cake and eat it 2?

Renix headers are different in two ways. Shape. High output models are shaped like a 3 into 2. Remix headers are shaped like a log with the out out next cylinders 5/6. This causes a chance in town pipes and o2 sensors are also moved.
Egr is the other difference. Renix has egr. High output does not

Darko I just posted a similar question. I however have a newer engine in my 90 XJ. My solution, that I'm looking for confirmation on, is to buy the header I want (97-99 0630 head compatible) and weld the proper EGR return tube and O2 fittings onto it. If you can't do this a good muffler shop/mechanic can.

For your application check Clifford Performance.
http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Jeep-40-Headers-1987-up-57-2015.htm

Back