• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre spring wandering.

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
So after finding the stansbury island petroglyphs and the redman pictograph last weekend I decided to spend another nice sunday out looking for story rock. Story rock is a rock full of oceanic petroglyphs that the Hawaiian settlers left in the late 1800's, there is hardly any information on this rock. So after talking with a few friends we set out to find it. after about 2 hours of hiking around we found it and it was definitely something different. after spending some time looking/wandering around the rock we decided to head back down to the old town of Iosepa and have some lunch. after that we decided to take the scenic route from there to eureka and find some train tunnels. While in eureka we met an old timer that owned most of the buildings in town and he opened one of them up to show us his 1918 Studebaker that still ran! he also had some old BMW in there with it but i wasn't really interested in that :) So after spending some time there we set off to find the tunnels, we found the first one and you are able to drive through it, roughly 200ft or so. after that we decided to start making our way home since it was getting late and we spent more time in eureka than planned(but it was worth it) so it was another great day of wandering and exploring more things i had no idea northern utah had.

I'll quit yappin' and get on with the pics now :D

entering Iosepa

the only remaining piece of the town from Iosepa

the coolest headstone i've ever seen

man in boat petroglyph

whale petroglyph

sea turtle

some fossils that we found while hiking around

while leaving Iosepa i had to get a pic of the aloha sign

a wild mustang we ran across. there was actually six more of them but they took off the other way that this one did.

to be continued........

another of the mustang

nice blue sky's all day.

wheel on the studebaker.

they came factory with a better bumper :)

view down the nose

the BMW

Dash

looking out of the tunnel

coming upon the tunnel

my failed attempt at getting a picture of the soot on the sealing of the tunnel from the trains.

the group at the exit.

another great sunday with some great people out seeing new stuff.

the full album can be found here

and if your interested the stansbury island pics can be found here

click the word "here" if you didn't notice :D

That's kind of why I wanted to go before it got hot. Hiking with baby rattlers gets old quick.

It was the furthest east one, I believe. the one in the middle of a big turn if your looking at Google earth. It was real easy to find as well. Didn't have time to checkout the others since we spent extra time in eureka. Funny thing was as we were driving through it I was informed I had been there before when I was about 3yrs old haha

Back