NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old February 12th, 2018, 18:13
NAXJA Member

Re: MJ on 42 Boggers continued

Made a little more progress this past weekend and got some more tubing bent up and installed. The roof bars sucked to make. I finally figured out how to get them to fit but only after I screwed one up. I'm hoping to add as much strength as possible so I tied them into the original cage at every point they crossed. So much for the idea of keeping this low profile.

Once I can use the plasma cutter again I'll make the base plates for the bed bars and then work on tying the sections together.

[IMG]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old February 17th, 2018, 21:26
NAXJA Member

I used up some of my screwed up bends and drops to add a little more to the roof section. I also made a couple of gusset tubes that I'm considering adding around the top of the windshield frame but forgot to get pictures of them.

I also got sick and tired of waiting for the co-op to fix the power in my garage so I made a trip to Lowe's for some supplies. I installed a 50 amp outlet near the circuit breaker panel in the house and made a 130' extension cord to go from the garage to the outlet. A little bit of gorilla tape where the cable comes in the window, can we say hack job! But hey, at least I can use the compressor and plasma cutter now.

I was able to get the base plates made for the front bed rail supports and I'm hoping to be able to get the bed rail welded in tomorrow. Then i can tie it into the new cage sections. With a little luck I might actually be able to finish this cage this month (or so).

Old February 19th, 2018, 18:05
NAXJA Member

Made a lot of progress this weekend, I got the base plates for the bed cage made up and installed. I finished the bed cage and got it welded in. I think I'll be adding some bracing mid way on it though, thats a long span without any support. I added the corner gussets at the A pillar which will make installing the windshield a little challenging. I was finally able to add the leg behind the cab tying the cages together.

I finally got back to bracing the fender flairs too. The rears were pretty basic, I just added tubes tying them into the cross tubes in the bed. The drivers front was a bitch though. I wanted to tie it into the engine bay cage like i did on the other side but didn't want to deal with relocating the power steering tank and filter. So I added a 3/16" frame stiffener plate to the drivers side frame connecting to the existing plates. The frame has a multi angle bend at this section so I got to use the press brake for something a little more precise this time. I started measuring for the first piece of tube and realized that it was going to be pretty tight getting around the hydraulic tank. I was able to do a funky double bend to get it to clear but it looks kinda stupid. I ended up doing the same thing on the rear brace too. I made up some blocks to tie the A pillar braces into the base structures that I built at eat bottom of the fenders. Those would have been way easier if I planned for them earlier.

I finished welding in the drivers side rear frame tie in point and then realized that I'm going to have to remove the exhaust and maybe the rear drive shaft to finish welding the passengers side rear, good point to call it a night. With any luck I'll finish all the tube work next week and then I can start the fun process of cleaning it all up and painting it, defiantly not looking forward to that.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 15:24
NAXJA Member

Looking great! That's some intense tube work.
Old Yesterday, 19:36
NAXJA Member

I finally finished the tube work, and of course about an hour or so after I finish doesn't the Co-op electrician knock on my door to tell me that he repaired the disconnect at the pole and I now have power to the garage. WTF, where was he 2 months ago.

I was concerned with the long span on that bed side tube figuring that the first time I rub up against something they will just bend. So I added one more brace to each side. This will probably be the last of my tube work for a little while. I still have some gusseting and plating to do and then I get the joy of priming and painting it, yay

I still have a bunch of other things that I'd like to get done for Spring so theres still plenty to do.

Old Yesterday, 19:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoMJ View Post
Looking great! That's some intense tube work.
Thanks man, its been a bit of a learning curve.