• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake fluid reservoir

TDoggs

NAXJA Forum User
I was pulling fluid out of the reservoir and notices black particle coming through the tubing.

Can just the reservoir be changed? Mine looks dirty inside.

Time to change the brake fluid: Bleed every wheel until you get clear fluid.

Ya, that’s the plan. I’d still like to chang the reservoir bottle if possible.

My guess is that when the brake pedal goes to the floor, you will understand the significance of those black particles and replace the master cylinder.

Until then, fix what's broke.

I would use a turkey baster to suck the crude out, filling and flushing, repeating as needed, until it's clean`. Then bleed the whole system.
Changing reservoirs may be a bigger project than it looks.

My guess is that when the brake pedal goes to the floor, you will understand the significance of those black particles and replace the master cylinder.

Until then, fix what's broke.

So, the black particles mean the master is toast?

You didn't say what year but most of MC's can have the reservoir replaced!

So, the black particles mean the master is toast?
If you are confidant the reservoir has been kept sealed, those black specs came off the seals inside the master cylinder.

If you are confidant the reservoir has been kept sealed, those black specs came off the seals inside the master cylinder.

Id say yes and no. While it could be rubber material, brake fluid degrades pretty fast. If it's never been changed, it's pretty likely it's just crap that built up in it. Like everyone said, give it a good flush and then every oil change suck the reservoir out and put new fluid in. It seems if they are that bad new fluid starts to loosen up all the dirt in the reservoir and release it. More than likely you'll be fine.

Thnaks guys. I'm gonna flush the S**T out of it and if it doesn't clean up. a new master cylinder isn't too much money..........

It's a 2000 Cherokee Sport. It does look like I can remove the reservoir.

Use the correct size punch to remove the 2 drift pins.

Pull, push, pry the reservoir off/out. Be careful not to break it unless you have a replacement.

Clean the reservoir,...I use plain water and dish liquid.

Let it dry completely.

Replace.

There are a couple of one way (so to speak) rubbers on the reservoir nipples that go into the master cylinder that make a bear to remove but it can be done.

I have replaced one on my XJ with one from a bone yard as well replace one for a friend of mine.

I'd say just change the master and bleed all the lines. That way you aren't setting yourself up for more work. Master cylinders are not all that expensive

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back