• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving a non-mobile Comanche

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
So....I have an issue, I'm going to be out of the country for six or so months and my wife wants to sell our house lol. She said she will do everything to sell the house and deal with the move. Obviously this is not ideal, but she has her heart set on it. My Comanche build is going as slowly as I figured it would and it currently has no axles or suspension. All the front stock mounts are cut off in preparation for a the link build... Any ideas on how to move a vehicle that is just a giant heap of steel? I can't really think of a way to do it that isn't stupid or going to create a lot of work. If you don't have an idea or think I should just wait until I get back: save yourself the time in replying, I've already explained to get this is a dumb idea...

And no, I don't have time to build the three link...

Find somebody with a tilt bed wrecker and they can winch it up on the bed. I have done this for stripped vehicles before. Most junk yards can help. If you are still in country for a bit, I would throw together some 2x4s to make a sled that could be winched easier.

Find somebody with a tilt bed wrecker and they can winch it up on the bed. I have done this for stripped vehicles before. Most junk yards can help. If you are still in country for a bit, I would throw together some 2x4s to make a sled that could be winched easier.

I appreciate that, I've done that with wrecked Cherokee before.

Tack some heavy duty caster wheels to the "frame". Makes it much easier to unload and roll around...at least from that flatbed or on concrete.

Thought about going with a mixture of the two...building a "subframe" with casters to set the jeep on and roll it around.

I just want to build my damn Jeep lol, too many honey-do's and no progress on the Jeep.

Four wooden furniture dollies wouldn't be too tough to maneuver, but you wouldn't want to leave it on them for the journey.

So one of the issues and which might drive the use of furniture dollies or something like it is that it is not in front of the door...but right outside the door is a slope that I don't want it to roll down...

IMG_0381_zpssrrx26z8.jpg

A big floor jack and an engine hoist should do it. I loaded the old crossedup Cherokee buggy with no axles on my trailer and unloaded it into steves garage. Two engine hoists would make it more stable. Used the floor jack like a dolly.

If it were me I would get 6 largish casters (something like a 6" diameter wheel, 2" wide or so) and attach those to 6"x12" x1/4" steel plates with a bit of angle iron welded on one side and a second piece of angle iron for each to be welded on the other side. Pick locations for the front and rear, tack those in place (welded such that you can gracefully remove them later), lower the vehicle down onto those and then figure out locations for the center pair and weld likewise (probably have to raise the vehicle back up to finish). Make sure everything is attached well enough to handle the stress of a transition to a ramp and plan to winch it onto a flatbed.

The 6" x 12" dimension for the plates is just a SWAG to accommodate the width of the frame plus the base edge of the angle iron, orienting the base of the angle iron away from the frame to make welding easier on yourself.

Post up pics of the lowrider once done.

Back