• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust on roof

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know of a good way to repair the dreaded rust right above the windshield in an xj? i need a new windshield at this time so i plan on doing it while it is out.any ideas would be greatly apreciated.thanks

When you say 'right above windshield', does that mean the rust also extends under the windshield trim (pre-97) or gasket 97 +?

If there is any chance the rust either originated from under the trim area or extends into it, you're not going to like the answer :( .

To really correct this, you need to pull the windshield and totally remove all rust. If it's limited to the outer edge of the windshield frame, count your blessings :).

Once rust works it's way under the rubber gasket the windshield will leak and become more prone to failure as the bond holding it to the frame has been compromised :mad:. At this point all the existing rubber must be cut out and the area purged of rust.

I just did this last summer. Media blasted the entire windshield frame, repainted etc. While not a tough job, rather time consuming and a general pain.

Are we talking about the surface rust that infects the area around the windshield gasket, or the actual holes that often appear around the front edge of the rain gutter? I have the latter. I haven't figured out what to do with it yet (other than the temporary rubber patch now on it) that doesn't involve pulling out the headliner, but had considered trying to cut the holes clean and then make a patch that can be slipped behind, pulled outward by a stud/handle that gets removed later, and then brazing or even soldering the patch in place. since it would be applied to the back side of the metal, you'd then have to use a little body putty to fill the recess, but it should be a sound patch.

It's all speculative, since my 95 is a near basket case anyway, and may end up being either sold or junked before it gets fixed.

But I was amused by your last couple of posts, since in addition to the holes in the roof, mine has a very stiff hood release. When I saw your posts, I had to look out in the driveway to make sure my green 95 wasn't missing. :eeks1:

I agreee with Matthew...the only way to fix it right(if its behind the glass or under gasket) is to remove the windshield and headliner, cut out the rust, fabricate new metal to fit, weld or braze in place, coat it inside and out with Zero rust or POR-15 so rust does not return.
Fix it right the first time and be done with it, leave you more time in the long run to enjoy your Jeep.
I have to do this to my '90, after starting with the floor pans I decided to do a full resoto/mod.

Back