• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to do this to you guys but im sure you will still help me. At various speeds above about 35 any where to about 70, when I hit a bump or anything, it try to throw me into death wobble. sometimes it stays and sometimes it just lasts a second or two. I have Rockkrawler 4.5" front springs, Rockkrawler lower control arms set at 16.5" and the Rubicon Adjustable track bar and the axle and tires are aligned properly. Are my settings on the control arms ok or is it something like a drop pitman arm that I need.

TIA,
Tom

Drop Pitman isn't needed unless you've changed the trackbar position as well (the RE ones don't). I'd recommend a search about DW after you go out and check the trackbar, control arms and remainder of the front end for looseness or play.

What figures do you have for 'proper' alignment?

I measured that the axle was at center by getting the same measurments on each side and did the toe alignment. I was just told that because I have stock uppers that I might need to lengthen the lower arms a little more even, so im gonna try that and see what I get.

Thanks,
Tom

Yucca-Man said:
Drop Pitman isn't needed unless you've changed the trackbar position as well (the RE ones don't).

After my call to RE - i found that thier bracket drops the trackbar about 5/8" lower than factory angle - shouldnt matter much, but it may

I just have the regular adjustable trackbar with the heim joint on the body side and poly bushing on the axle end, Not the H.D.

Tom

XJ_ranger said:
After my call to RE - i found that thier bracket drops the trackbar about 5/8" lower than factory angle - shouldnt matter much, but it may

Here you go again,The RE Bracket places the trackbar "EXACTLY" the same height as a stocker.Quit reading/calling and bust out a tape measure for yourself!

There are so many different things that can cause or contribute to DW that its almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. I couldnt figure out my DW for 3 months, tightened everything down countless times, replaced my LCA's, upgraded my steering, got like 4 alignments and nothing helped. Finally I gave in and took it to good shop near my house and they found a large crack in unibody under my TB bracket (RE). They sleeved and gusseted the unibody and welded the bracket on..since then I havent had a problem. Major PITA though. Also check your steering box too for any leaks or excessive play in the shaft.

Back