• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

‘98 4.0 into a ‘91 Cherokee

wb0rur

NAXJA Forum User
Fairly handy, but never done an engine swap before. I’ve found a 98 4.0 to drop into my ‘91 XJ (Engine threw a rod). Is this going to take a lot of “modification” or is it relatively straightforward? Would I be better off finding an engine closer to the original year?

98 XJ? You’re good to go, only modification I can think of is the temp sender on the cylinder head, oil filter adapter.
Different casting for the cylinder head but the basics are the same, just treat it like a long block and swap you sensors and accessories over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use your original set up for the simplest swap. Motor is the managed the same by the 91’s ecu. I think even the 98 distributor plugs in to the 91 harness. Just swap all the 91 sensors over, either drill and tap the temp sensor on the head if there’s no place for it or relocate it.
You could upgrade to 98 electronics but you’d have to go all the way dash & everything. Probable not worth it to get OBDII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, motor mounts, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

Easiest way is to use your original intake since the mounting for power steering is different. Don't break any sensors you'll need your originals the 98 ones likely won't plug in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey gents, new to the Jeep world. Just bought my first, I got a 2001 XJ Sport 4door. I was looking to change out all the suspension for fresh new stuff so I ordered new stock CrownAutomotive front coils and rear leafs, and 4 stock shock absorbers from Quadratec. But now I’m thinking I should have went with the Heavy Duty springs. I’m looking to have a very slight lift from stock height. Does anyone have any real personal experience with the CrownAutomotive HD springs that can tell me how much lift it gives? And what the ride quality is like? THANKS in advance guys!

Back