• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Line Routing/Cooler install - '00 Cherokee

QNJSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
HELP -Tranny cooler install - '00 Cherokee

I searched the threads, but still need a little help; the cooler is mounted, but I need ideas for lines routing.
Is the line routing the same on my 2000 cherokee as on the earlier ones? From the other posts that I have searched it appears that the top line into radiator is from tranny and the bottom line out of radiator is to tranny (cool).

The tranny lines on mine have some small sections of hose with the rest tubing and the lower connection out of the radiator appears to be a snap type fitting. The adapter sent with the cooler wont work on this type of fitting even if I could reach it!
Is there any alternative to just cutting the rubber hose in the return section and splicing in using double ended barb connections - I hate to create even more potential leak points.

Thanks,

QNJSXJ

Last edited:
The easiest way to tell which line is the pressure is to look at the transmission. Find the cooler line the comes out by the front of the trans. That one is the pressure line. You will need a special disconnect tool to remove the bottom line at the radiator. If you take your time and remove the airbox you should be able to access the fitting and use the tool. The correct way to reattach a line to the bottom fitting is to use the correct factory XJ hose for an auxiallry cooler. The part number is 5003096AC, this is a piece of 3/8 hose with one open end and the other end has the quick connect fitting on it. That part is expensive, but is very useful. You may have to cut and flare the end of the tube you removed and just use some bulk trans cooler hose there. Just in case I would use 2 small hose clamps on each end of the hose too.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the info... I had to drive it before I could get the correct hose, but it is good to know there is a better way; I'll have to go back in and do it right when I have the hose.

Back