• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idler pulley question

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
My idler pulley grenaded on my way into work last night. I got a gates replacement pulley from O'Reilly, but the dust cover for the front of the pulley will not fit in the inside diameter of the new pulley. The pulley did come with a new "spacer" but I'm not sure if it should go on the front or the back of the pulley as I've seen videos of replacement pulleys with a rear dust cover instead of the front. The xj is a 94 with the 4.0. Any ideas?

Glad we could help! :D

For posterity; what was your answer

It goes on the front side like the factory setup. I checked the depth on the factory spacer and the gates spacer and they both sat the same depth inside the bearing, just and updated part to fit the smaller inside diameter of the new pulley

I can't remember which brands were involved, but I replaced my idler pulley a couple of years ago, and I didn't like the first version I got (perhaps from Napa), so I went questing and found another store with a version much more like the OE pulley (perhaps vatozone?).

IIRC the first one that I rejected had the bolt recessed in a well with steep sides such that you had to use a socket to access the bolt, and the OE design, and what I sought and found, had the bolt head recessed in a valley with shallow angles such that you could access the bolt with a wrench. It matters because you have to loosen that bolt in order to tension/release the serpentine belt. I can do it with the right wrench, but I don't have clearance for a socket, unless I do something like remove the fan shroud.

I've actually seen at least 2 different designs on idler pulley on xj's. The bearing is available but I don't know the number off the top of my head.

I've actually seen at least 2 different designs on idler pulley on xj's. The bearing is available but I don't know the number off the top of my head.

6203-2RS as I recall. I've fixed a number of idler pulleys that used the same bearing. Pretty common motor bearing size, just get a decent brand and be careful pressing it in/out.

Back