• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Upgrade

petvet92

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best alternator to replace the OEM in a 95 4.0L high output XJ with a winch, lockers, on board compressor and auxiliary lights?

Running a 130 amp alternator from a Grand Cherokee is an easy upgrade. Do a search for it.

The durango alt upgrade is an easy one
It requires some minor grinding in the bracket and in the block.....
I did it couple months ago

Upgraded mains cables are suggested

Search for 5-90 in naxja forum

My local Alternator shop discovered a 200 Amp alternator that, mostly, bolted in. The mounts had to be opened up a bit but that is a well known necessity for all of the high output Alternators.

Cost wise for the new alternator, it was only a few dollars more than what NAPA wanted for a remanufactured 130 Amp.

The fusible link was replaced, as part of the installation, with a 00 gauge wire connecting via a fuse to the PDC. IMO, one of the most overlooked portion of the Alternator Upgrade mod is the fusible link. What good is the high capacity Alternator if the fusible link is still stock. Not only will the wire size be flat wrong... The link should blow out when the Alternator's output is pushed.

My system can deliver 160 Amps at idle and 190 Amps at 1500 RPM which is not too shabby at all...

If you have a small, independent, shop near by, check them out. Be amazed at just how reasonable the new part cost is.

What drove the replacement in my Heep was three 10" electric fans, an electric water pump, the winch and, I thought it might be nice to get full voltage to the headlights. Just for fun...

What was fun this winter was when I was asked to jump my neighbors Diesel Truck. My Heep was able to get his going with the Heep idling...

I am not a fan of used Alternators. For me, the piece of mind knowing that there is a warrantied part under the hood has value. More so than saving a couple of bucks...

My local Alternator shop discovered a 200 Amp alternator that, mostly, bolted in. The mounts had to be opened up a bit but that is a well known necessity for all of the high output Alternators.

Cost wise for the new alternator, it was only a few dollars more than what NAPA wanted for a remanufactured 130 Amp.

The fusible link was replaced, as part of the installation, with a 00 gauge wire connecting via a fuse to the PDC. IMO, one of the most overlooked portion of the Alternator Upgrade mod is the fusible link. What good is the high capacity Alternator if the fusible link is still stock. Not only will the wire size be flat wrong... The link should blow out when the Alternator's output is pushed.

My system can deliver 160 Amps at idle and 190 Amps at 1500 RPM which is not too shabby at all...

If you have a small, independent, shop near by, check them out. Be amazed at just how reasonable the new part cost is.

What drove the replacement in my Heep was three 10" electric fans, an electric water pump, the winch and, I thought it might be nice to get full voltage to the headlights. Just for fun...

What was fun this winter was when I was asked to jump my neighbors Diesel Truck. My Heep was able to get his going with the Heep idling...

I am not a fan of used Alternators. For me, the piece of mind knowing that there is a warrantied part under the hood has value. More so than saving a couple of bucks...

Any chance you have a part number?

Thanks for the previous posts. I've seen some info on the Durango and GC upgrade, but want to avoid too much grinding. Anyone running a powermaster 170/110, or a mean green that's supposed to crank up to 200 amps?

Thanks for the previous posts. I've seen some info on the Durango and GC upgrade, but want to avoid too much grinding. Anyone running a powermaster 170/110, or a mean green that's supposed to crank up to 200 amps?

Chances are both the Powermaster and the Mean Green high out put alternators are larger (have a larger case) than the OEM XJ unit which would be the same size of the Durango and Grand Cherokee alternator. The smaller units that have been modified to increase the out put produces low power at low RPM. You would be better off to just clearance the block and alternator mounting bracket and fitting the larger alternator which produces higher amperage at low RPM. I have done this on my XJ in 2004. Many others on this forum and countless other Jeep forums have do so successfully and with no adverse effects. There have been several write up here on NAXJA on how to do it.

To answer your question,...Most on this forum avoid the Powermaster and Mean Green units because of the price,...$400+ :shocked:

Back