• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater core flush

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be doing a heater core flush here in the next few days and was wondering if it would be effective to just use jugs of distilled water and then an air compressor to clean it out.

I know people say that tap water isn't the best from a hose...So I figured that using a funnel and pouring distilled water in and follow that with air it might do the same trick/be more effective.

Thoughts?

Use the garden hose set on low to medium. Too much pressure increases the risk of blowing out out the heater core. The water just goes in and drains out, so the source doesn't really matter, but you do need to use enough water to flush out all the sludge. When filling the cooling system with 50/50 mixed coolant, distilled water would be preferred.

IIRC, you should make sure you flush from both the intake opening and then reverse flush from the outtake opening.

IIRC, you should make sure you flush from both the intake opening and then reverse flush from the outtake opening.

yes. I flushed mine a littel while back, and got little from the intake port, but then a bunch of crud from the exit port.

Pour a little bit of vinegar dow in there that will help dislodge any crude in there. Then just use light water pressure to flush it with.

Back