• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange idle/brake issue/ voltage drop issue

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
Ok 1998 SE 4.0 with AW4 trans.

I have some issues all may be related but they more likely unrelated lol.

First I have a voltage issue with my compressor running. At stops my voltage falls from 14 to around 9 and lights dim at night. Headlights, dash lights etc and the jeep will start to idle poorly. Also as I come to a stop I notice my rpms will pick up a bit then drop down, sometimes multiple times before smoothing out. Start moving all is well with this issue until randomly it happens again at another light.

Second, with my AC on my braking seems to have changed from good to pretty stiff, almost as if there were a vac leak. the booster seems to lose some of its effectiveness.

Thirdly my jeep will have a slightly erratic idle during normal operation. I noticed today that it seems to clear up quite a bit when my ac is in the on position. With ac off it wants to idle around 600 with ac on around 750. The jeep also struggles to heat the cabin with heat on full blast, it does warm up a little when in motion but the heat cools off at stops and at idle.

I am thinking I must have a vac leak on something controlling the hvac system that gets nullified as the rpms increase. It also must be nullified or minimized when the high idle kicks on when the ac is switched to the on postion.

These issues are driving me batty! It seems the voltage issue is from a bad ground/bad positive bat cable that I know about but the other issues are driving me nuts.

How do you smoke test an engine to find a tiny vac leak? How about the part of the ac that the vac lines go into with the little diaphram near the firewall? Are those prone to fail and leak? Recently the jeep has been a taking longer to start than normal when cold, but fires up instantly when warm. It runs strong and evenly though all rpm ranges except that issue with the idle. Im stumped!

Little help here lol

Thanks!

Back