• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want NIGHTMARES

Speedbump96

NAXJA Forum User
this was my head on my 96 when i got it

2010-08-05233704.jpg

download8.jpg

lol looks like some water got in there, or a horrible amount of sludge. was it still running like that? i'd be worried about the oil passages in the head and the block, the pump, etc. i bet the pan looks pretty bad too. have fun with that man, looks like a lot of work :D

Looks like Penzoil.

yeah i know im doing a swap for a new motor its running to hott and i pretty much did everything i could think of just gunna pick up another motor and build that one into a strokerv:)

THATS ! what I thought...
Change to a high detergent oil for the next few oil changes...

I run Chevron Delo 15/40

Curt
NO!!!

Changing now will cause a full rebuild. All that crap will break down and go through the motor.

Change to a normal motor oil, not a diesel or high detergent oil.

Definitely had some penn through there :D

NO!!!

Changing now will cause a full rebuild. All that crap will break down and go through the motor.

Change to a normal motor oil, not a diesel or high detergent oil.

Definitely had some penn through there :D

I did it in my CJ & it ran fine for several more years... I think the change interval might need to be shortened up... every 2K for a few changes.

I can see your point... but changing DID work for me... I love my Delo.

Curt

My god man! I've seen some stuff in my automotive years, nothing like that though!:hang:

That kind of sludge is exactly what happens when you mix synthetic oil with non-synthetic.

I work in a diesel shop through school and we just tore down a L6 turbo diesel international out of a 91 box van and it looked the same if not worse. We determined that the owner had mixed the two types of oil, which caused rapid breakdown such as what was found.

I've actually never heard of it doing that...can you point me towards some info on the matter?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

There seems to be mixed information on the subject online. I was informed by 4 professional, ASE certified mechanics that have worked in the industry for 20-40+ years.

However, there are other issues that cause sludge like that too. I'm sure operator/consumer use and operating conditions play the biggest part in how the oil is going to look.

Back