• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's everyones thoughts on chassis grounds?

Kego814

NAXJA Forum User
I like them because they are less complicated and tend to lead to a cleaner finish IMO. But there's the side of me that knows that the connections aren't perfect and are prone to corrosion problems. What are you guys using, from r how long and why did you choose what you chose?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

How critical is the using sand paper to work it in like the intstructions say on the tube?
I usually just clean the connections up really well, coat the piece and assemble.

I don't use that exact brand, but what you do is just fine.

i raised the question because i ran a second fuse box for accessories and these accessories need grounds and so do my relays. the engine bay is starting to get cluttered to the point that i dont like looking at it.

i raised the question because i ran a second fuse box for accessories and these accessories need grounds and so do my relays. the engine bay is starting to get cluttered to the point that i dont like looking at it.

Depending on your current load if you have the chassis grounded to the motor and battery well enough you should be able to ground whatever, wherever you need to to the chassis.

Upgrade your "Big three" grounds - battery to body, battery to engine block, and engine block to body- and be done with it.
You don't have to use the factory attachment points, either.

My accessory grounds (if critical, like audio system) all go to a copper plate (procured years ago when I was a car audio installer, before copper went stupid on the commodities market) with a short jumper to the battery negative. Otherwise I'm running 00 welding cable soldered and heatshrunk to replace the Big Three grounds, with the attachment points being cleaned down to bare metal, installed with a star washer, and then painted over. On further thought, I am really liking the use of liquid electrical tape instead of paint. I overlooked that product since it's always seemed like a "flunkie tool" for idiots that don't know how to use electrical tape (seriously, after spending a few years doing high-end installs and reworks of customer supplied equipment, you see some stupid crap). Using it to paint over the proper grounding points on the body is a brilliant use that I'm sorry to say never occurred to me.

Back