• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6 build starts today!!!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I finally get to p/u my block today so I can get started, I talked to Russ the other day about where my heads and intake are and they're about another week out!
Here's my parts list............

2000 XJ block - decked, bored .030" over, and align-bored w/ ARP Main Stud kit

Clearwater Cylinder Head improved 0331 head - Bishop-Buehl port/polish/62cc chambers/LS1 intake valves/port match w/ ARP head bolts

2000 XJ intake manifold - Bishop-Buehl port match/bore TB 62mm

BBK 62mm throttle body

Banks Revolver header

Hesco water pump

Comp Cams 68-232-4 camshaft - Lift(.460" Int/.476" Ex) Duration(250 Int/256 Ex)

Rollmaster billet steel(crankgear induction hardened) double roller timing set w/ nine position crank gear (+8 to -8 degrees)

Cam bolt with custom length thrust pin(no spring), shooting for .008" of end play

Sealer Power lifters

HarlandSharp 1.6 roller rockers w/ ARP rocker studs

Scat stroker crankshaft

Scat/Bishop-Buehl Chromoly 6.125" connecting rods bushed for free-floating Chevy wrist pins

Auto Tec 4032 Forged pistons/ -22cc D-dish w/ Chevy wrist pins and 1.385" wrist pin height

Sealed Power Moly piston rings

Clevite main/rod/cam bearings

FelPro gaskets/seals

ARP flex plate bolts

Brown Dog motor mounts

Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, wrist pins, flex plate, and harmonic balancer all balanced

Reciprocating parts - connecting rods, pistons, and wrist pins I weight matched to within .25grams across all 6 set combo's

Custom 2-1/2" header to downpipe adapter w/ O2 bung for my LM-2 A/F meter

you'll like that setup. do you know what your CR will come in at?

with that setup and cam, you'll have awesome bottom end and pull hard through normal freeway rpm's. will be a lot of fun to drive around town.

tires will start to get expensive. ;)

We'll yesterday I spent the afternoon checking/cleaning/ and painting. This morning I installed the cam and crank with the ARP studs.

Main bearing clearance - .002"
Rod bearing clearance - .002"
Crankshaft endplay - .002"
Cylinder/piston clearance - .003"

Next(tomorrow since it's getting hot and I am monoplegic) will be to drop a piston in to find TDC , check the deck height, and to dial in the cam.

I'm shooting for 9.25-9.4 CR! It is a Russ based build!
P1080505_zpsi9r9vgut.jpg

P1080506_zpsifeiljxm.jpg

Last edited:
We'll I finally got the bottom end together(it's not easy building a motor with one hand)! The rod clearance was great, next was TDC and degree the cam, had a little hic-cup but I figured that out, came out perfect! Piston ring gaps took a little while, but every things good to go there. Deck height was more than I expected but workable.

Edit : just realized there was originally no oil-slinger???

P1080507_zpsbnzjnnlo.jpg

P1080508_zpsmejh0ohh.jpg

P1080510_zpszrlfib5k.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't able to accomplish a lot this weekend! I got the oil pump installed and fitted the cam bolt end play pin starting with a 1.5" x .250" +.002" hardened pin. It only took about five minutes and 2 pins(over-shot the 1st) to get the .008" of clearance I wanted. I discovered that my rocker arm studs and my oil slinger probably got tossed out with all the rest of my old parts(oh well) worse things could happen!Spent the rest of my time measuring the balance for ARP studs. Turns out the timing cover doesn't play well, but I've got a order in for the oil pan and valve cover.
P1080512_zpswtysregx.jpg

Last edited:
That tapered piston installer really makes the install easy. Nice cam pin.

It's "Priceless" to me, I can't use any of my other types of compressors!

Well thanks to Russ I received my head and intake Saturday afternoon(love his work and the LS valvetrain with the Beehive springs)! Got the balance of my ARP hardware Friday. Been busy since, finished putting the long block put together and installed it in the Jeep!!!

With 62cc chambers I used a Fel-Pro 530HD head gasket so my QH should be about .040" and not knowing what the final "crushed" gasket height is, I'm thinking 9.3/1 max CR!
P1080513_zpskwcz0l2l.jpg

P1080514_zpslz6n2eoi.jpg

P1080515_zpsy6cfykns.jpg

P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

I want to say the gasket will be around .052. Not sure where that number came from but its stuck in my head.

the victor reinz gasket is 0.043 for sure though, and is what we use on all the race motors.

I measured the core/body of the gasket at .057". On Felpros sight they list it as .049-.059" which is kind of strange. That's why I just used .056" as a comfortable number.
I did have to massage the heat shield to clear the Banks header, but that wasn't to bad because I hadn't installed the motor yet!

Looking at this, I kind of wish my SJ had an I6 so I could build one too. Cool stuff.

The driver side mount has a riveted heat shield. I've also purchased the Design Engineering fuel rail kit and will do anything else to control/reduce the temps.
P1080517_zpskkoyfih8.jpg

P1080518_zpsnl0quvsi.jpg

Great looking build!! I ditched that heat shield when I replaced my Pre-Cat's and added the Banks-like headers to my '01 XJ. Wish I could've kept it but since doing the install with the engine still in my rig I simply couldn't get access to all the bolts w/that aluminum shield there. Thankfully I haven't had any heat related issues since the install.

OOPS!!

Gotta slide the motor back out, I forgot to put the top trans/engine shield in! :cry:

Back