• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bearing cap seal

grundan

NAXJA Forum User
just dug into the 4.0 to change the pouring rear main. what is that seal called on the outer part of the bearing cap? it sits on the OD of the cap same side as the rear main seal. should i replace it? what is it called?

oh BTW had to go to harbor freight to buy a brass punch today, gonna turn it down on the lathe and try and pound out the old seal tomorrow. what a PITA

grundan said:
or maybe this is part of the new oil pan gasket? i bought the 1 piece seal as mentioned here on the forum.
the seal im refering to is the one in this post.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74818

btw, i can't find the edit button in here?

I just did 2 rearmains this week, I prefer the cork 2 piece gaskets, the kits come with the piece you are talking about(fel-pro)

If you get the four-piece cork gasket, it will have two cork rails (for the long sides) and two rubber seals (for the timing chain cover bottom and the rear main cap.) If you get the one-piece moulded rubber gasket, it will go all the way around on its own. A couple useful pointers...

1) I'd get four studs, 1/4"-20 by 1" to 1.5" long (SBChevvy valve cover studs are great for this!) Install one in the third hold from each end of each rail - you'll put in four. It will save a LOT of wrestling - you get everything in place, hold the pan up with one hand (it won't move if it's on the studs,) and grab the stud nuts. Start them loosely, then you can use both hands to get the rest of the screws started.

2) Check your oil sump pan rails - lay a straightedge on them if you need to. Chances are, you managed to bugger one up breaking the seal (don't worry - we all do!) and you'll want to take a hammer and drift to straight them back out. If you don't, and it's bent, it will leak!

3) Replacement fastener sizes are 1/4"-20 x 1/2" and 5/16"-18 x 3/4". Just in case...

4) The later oil sump gasket is a little fiddly to deal with (since it's rigid,) but it's a lot easier to keep in place once it's there. Rigid long sides, you know.

USE A TORQUE WRENCH! It's painfully easy to crush that gasket - if you use the four-piece cork gasket, torque the 1/4" screws to 7 pound-feet/84 pound-inches, and the 5/16" screws to 11 pound-feet/132 pound-inches. If you use the one-piece moulded gasket, you can torque all screws to 10 pound-feet/120 pound-inches, for simplicity (that's what I did. It's close enough to manual values that I didn't feel bad using it, and my oil sump isn't leaking anymore!) Even with the later gasket (with the rigid core,) you're going for a consistent tightening of the sump rails - so you'll still want a torque wrench.

5-90

so if im reading this correctly my new one piece seal will replace that part of the seal on the bearing cap.
now I gotta go hammer that seal out.
thanks

Back