• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid Plates?

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
Was reading another website and it talked about adding skid plates to the gas tank of an XJ- this peaked my interest in the plates.

My 1990 MJ Pioneer appears to have stock plates over the gas tank, transfer case, radiator, and possibly a small one over the tranny (??? can not remember off hand). Could all these be stock? The previous owner did not know that much about the vehicle- so asking him was no help.

How did Jeep decide which vehicle was getting skids and which one wasn't??? by model, by year???

Sister-in-law bought a liberty when they first came out. We took it to a Jamboree within 2 months and after running it through the trails some DCX engineers at the Jamboree wanted to go over it. They said they wanted to see what was getting rubbed underneath. I know we dented the oil pan pretty bad- I wonder if they added skids in the more recent years??

Thanks
PRL

I believe the decision about which XJ/MJ got skids was dependent on the packages purchased. As I recall, there was an Off-Road package offered, and skids might have been available with others as well.

How does your sister feel about paying $25k+ to be a Beta Tester? That blows...

She didn't mind it- She told her dealership prior to going on the excursion and they said they would do everything possible to repair any damage free of charge (I assume they were writing it off as a warranty expense). They did replace her oil pan for free.

I know- it is crazy to hear dealership and FREE in the same sentence!

Back