• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A proper non-budget 2" lift?

JWFokker

NAXJA Forum User
I suppose I could have posted this in the Street and Performance forum, but most of the lift related threads are here.

I don't go offroad with my XJ. It's for street use only. I have a set of brand new 18" alloys off a 2008 Wrangler Sahara that I bought from a dealership quite a while ago that I want to put on with 245/60R18 tires (29.57" diameter and 9.64" section width). Because the bolt pattern is 5x5" instead of 5x4.5", I also got a set of Spidertrax adapters that push the wheels 1.25" out. In the interest of keeping my XJ properly proportioned, I'd like to lift it by 2". But all of the 2" lift threads are focused on budget boosts that use spacers and shackles and AALs or bastard packs. Because I don't intend to ever change my suspension once I have the lift in place, I'd like to do a full proper lift the first time, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far this is what I had in mind.

Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front and rear.
Old Man Emu Front Coil Springs - good for 1.5 to 1.75" lift?
Old Man Emu 2" Leaf Springs

Am I missing anything? Should I get new leaf spring bushings and u-bolts? I notice the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift kit includes parts to lower the transfer case as well. Is this necessary for a 2" lift? Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything. I'm not going for a budget boost. I just want to get it done correctly the first time.

Those leafs don't come with bushings, so you should definately get new ones. And new ubolts would be a really goo idea too.

I also have a road only XJ and I've been looking at this setup too. I don't think I'd put in the TC drop and see how she drives.

I think you can between light, medium, or heavy duty leafs from OME. You have any idea what you gonna do there?

Check out 4wheelparts.com, they have a huge amount lift kits for XJ's! I would advise that add a leafs kits will make the rear suspenion have a sitffer ride than to blocks or shackles. Me it would depend on ride quality. Examample. my friend and I both have 98 XJ's with the same amount of miles both have 3.5in lifts. Mine are all new rear leafs, his is add a leafs. His ride is so stiff. It hurts the spine. And as for the trans drop kit only add it if you get excesive shuddering on accerlation! I would look in to Rubicon Lifts. I'm a fan! So if you wanted to maintain the factory ride I would find a kit that had front spacers and rear blocks or shackles. Or if you didnt mind a slight stiffer ride find a kit that has new front springs and new rear leafs! No add a leafs.

Last edited:
looks like medium springs. Setup looks pretty good! at 2" it is unlikely that the tcase drop will be required

I actually want to make the ride as comfortable as possible, so I might go with the OME Light leaf springs if they still raise the rear by 2". Ride quality is really my #1 concern, which is why I was going to replace the suspension to begin with. I figured it would be a good idea to lift it at the same time because I know that AALs and shackles are not the ideal way to go. Are there any lift kits that ride more comfortably than OME's? They're pretty expensive at $850+ for the 2.5" XJ kit too. Honestly, I'm not convinced that OME shocks are as good as what Bilstein has to offer for street use, so I was planning on piecing a kit together. I know an XJ will never ride like a Cadillac because of the solid axles, but I'd like to get as close as I can.

Last edited:
I run the OME H.D. 2.5in lift with OME shocks on my 2001. I have never once regreted going OME. Curently I have 31x10.5 tires and they do rub some (need to bump stop more). For the size of tire you intend to run and for mostly onroad driving I think you will be fine with the light duty OME lift. If once you have everything installed and you decide you still need some more height you can add an extra coil isolator for a half an inch. In the rear, a comanche shackle will give about an inch lift.

For shocks, I would run the OMEs. They are designed to work with the OME springs on YOUR vehicle. OME is one of the few fully matched and integrated suspension systems. Unless you have very specific needs or are trying to save some money, go full OME!!

If you have any questions, PM me.

Matt

If your looking to improve ride quality, something to consider are the shackle relocation brackets. They can provide up to 2 inches of lift, and they certainly improve ride quality. I have these on my XJ and I was really amazed at the difference! I would imagine you would get best quality if you then replace the leaf pack with something else, but with the relocation, the new leafs would have to be near factory height.

If you go Bilstein, make sure you research the valving for them. I went with 360/80 valving up front. but then that's pretty stiff, which I wanted for my usage. For you, you may want to go with 255/70 all around. I have that valving out back and it seems a nice balance. The OME shocks will be valved pretty well from the get go.

Back