• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Motor Running Cool

@techno, all readings posted were without heat unless stated otherwise.

So I've had the 205* stat in for a week or so now.

With heat on it is running about 182. Sometimes on the highway it seems to dip down to 175. Wheeling at a very slow pace up hill in snow I got to about 200.

My mileage has gone up to 17MPG, but I would expect it to be a little higher with new O2 sensor, full 2.5" exhaust, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, head job, etc.

Anyways, the dips into the 170's don't sit well with me as I'd prefer the engine to run consistently around 210*.

I've read dozens of threads regarding temp fluctuations and running cool and it seems it's anybodies guess what is causing the problem. One guy will say he solved it with Brand X thermostat, another will say Brand X didn't help at all.

I am considering, as some point, trying a restrictor like this: http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoRadiatorRestrictor.htm

Yea, I remembered when G0Jeep posted that and I may be the only person who critiqued him negatively. He installed modified thermostat housing, custom radiator and a myriad of other cooling upgrades.

Having spent 8+ years in the high speed power boats repair business, I have done just that a few times. The problem with that is, at certain engine load and speed, the temperature fluctuate. In GoJeep's case, he mentioned an adjuster valve to control the water flow. This reminds me of those giant ocean going ships with a manned engine room. they use valves to control the engine temperature. They also have someone in the engine room 70% of the time.

If that floats your boat, then run with it.

Last edited:
Back