• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Delete, 96 XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just picked up my new trail rig, its a nice rig but it has ABS and I want it gone! I want all of the ABS crap gone!

I searched but did not find anything specific to the 96. What do I need to get rid of, plug up, cut off, re-plumb etc.

I really just want the system removed like it was never there!

take out the relays

I don't remember seeing a straight answer on this. Except, if it's bendix then don't touch it.

FWIW I just pulled the ABS System relay. Brakes have been bleed numerous times with no problems. Good pedal, good with WJ setup and 10" drums. Same as my old xj. Black tape over the light. Good year pics of it?

I don't know what system it is, but here is a pic.

absgj2.jpg

I got rid of mine, a long time ago.

You end up needing a new splitter for the front brake lines. Napa brass fitting #7800 (I think) is a T-fitting that threads into the front output proportioning valve and gives you two outputs, one for each side.

Here's my before:

disc6.jpg

and the after shot:

disc9.jpg

edit: never mind the fact that the master cylinder is totally different, that doesn't matter here.
I did it because I was having problems getting the ABS thing bled fully, and I wanted the engine compartment space for something else.

Thanks vetteboy. What about the electrics? Do I just unplug? Is there a computer for the ABS? Do I just pull the ABS light in the dash.

I hate to sound like a newbie, I'm not I'm a seasoned mechanic but I rarely completely delete anything!

xjtrailrider said:
Thanks vetteboy. What about the electrics? Do I just unplug? Is there a computer for the ABS? Do I just pull the ABS light in the dash.

I hate to sound like a newbie, I'm not I'm a seasoned mechanic but I rarely completely delete anything!

i've done a bunch of research on this, going to go vetteboy's route when i swap the d44 into my '96. from what i have learned, for the electrical side, you just pull the abs relay and fuse-then you should be good to go.

I also did the same, swapped a D44 into my 99, pulled all the abs lines out (you don't have to) and then just looked under the hood at the relay box, and pulled the relay for ABS...light is gone, and system was bled when I did the brake lines. I have awesome peddle feel and have since felt no problems coming from the ABS delete.

I did an ABS delete on my 96, you don't really need to remove the pump and all unless you need the space to install something else (snorkel maybe?). Just unplug all the ABS-related relays under the hood and the fuse from the fuse holder under the dash and you're good to go. I used my owner's manual to find which relays to pull, if you don't have one I can look it up when I get home.

Thanks guys. I'll find the right relay and fuse and pull them. I do have a snorkel but its going in the front of the box and is nicely done.(FitchVA installed it!)

I do need the space though.

I have a 96 XJ that is non-abs, I'll copy the plumbing from it to delete the pump.

Here is a pic of it.
IMG_9189.jpg

Back