• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 converting to NP242

Reading through this thread was very informative. My 89 has the 242 behind the aw4 and it's an awesome TC, but where I live we don't get enough rain or snow to really warrant the use of the FT mode. I will be looking to swap to a 231 though here in the future though if anybody still has one lying around and would like to trade.

Here is my experience in converting my '89 XJ from a 5spd/NP231 to a 5spd/NP242 and eventually to a Auto/NP242.

The wiring harness that came with the 5spd does not support the fulltime light, some wire tracing and splicing would need to be done to get it to work. I nver bothered looking into it. When I swapped in the auto I swapped in the wiring harness and it suported the fulltime light, all I had to do was put a bulb in the dash. This makes me think that if you already have an auto you should be able to find the wire for the full-time light and splice the pigtail from your donor vehicle onto it. But your '98 is probably much different from my '89.

I too enjoy my NP242! Great for winter driving and also for those gravel roads on the way to the trail! Keeps the locked backend from kicking out on the corners. I originally swapped mine in because I can easily buy NP242s for $100 with low miles(nobody wants them!). Its cheaper than rebuilding my NP231. Used NP231s run well over $400 if they are in decent shape, $250 if the chain needs replacing. Much more demand for the Np231 from the YJ/TJ crowd drives up the price.

I have a 242 sitting in the garage waiting for a quick rebuild and swap into my 89 MJ in place of the 231. I want 4wd full for the same reasons others have mention, especially since it's pretty easy to break the rear end loose on the truck. When I measured, the 242 was a little longer (I think it was an inch) which in my case is good since I'm marginal on engagement at the rear slip yoke.

i have a np231 and a transmission off a 90 in my garage. the front output bearing might be making noise. only does it in 4wd and did not in 2wd with the front driveline locked.

Back