• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Solenoid Replacement write-up (no 56k)

You're right. I did see these....

It does not say how to check post 98 though, so I guess I will take a shot at testing the tcm, before I drop the pan again.

I have a 2wd 97 Cherokee sport and I ran the codes for a check engine light and got the code saying solenoid B is faulty and when I pull off in drive I'm stuck in 3rd and in 1-2 I don't get 2nd. I read about everything in the forum. I'm having some other problems as far as electrical and going to lose such as my oil gauge not wanting to work also the temperature gauge randomly I unplugged my TCM for a little while and plugged it back in and the check engine light went away and it ran fine. how do I check each piece of the electrical system as in where do I probe to get the right reding? Do I have to expose wires?
I'm good at replacing things but I'm still learning about the rest of it!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Also I just wanted to ask if mine would have the aw4 or not I looked it up for a long time but couldn't get what I felt was a definite answer.
I went to the local pick n' Pull to get the shift solenoid but I was told that the 97 was year specific and drivetrain specific? But I had already snagged some off an 01 4wd and figured I might as well take em home they might fit.
P.S. I haven't opened my trans pan yet since I didn't know if it was right.

I have a 2wd 97 Cherokee sport and I ran the codes for a check engine light and got the code saying solenoid B is faulty and when I pull off in drive I'm stuck in 3rd and in 1-2 I don't get 2nd. I read about everything in the forum. I'm having some other problems as far as electrical and going to lose such as my oil gauge not wanting to work also the temperature gauge randomly I unplugged my TCM for a little while and plugged it back in and the check engine light went away and it ran fine. how do I check each piece of the electrical system as in where do I probe to get the right reding? Do I have to expose wires?
I'm good at replacing things but I'm still learning about the rest of it!
Thanks!

You'll have to do some searching on how to diagnose the TCM exactly.
But you can try unplugging it and shifting manually through all the gear ranges. If this works, then your TCM is probably at fault. If it does not, then it will narrow it down to the solenoid and/or mechanical fault (i.e. clutch packs, converter lockup, etc.)

To test the solenoids individually, you will have to drop the transmission pan and use a multimeter. Place the red lead on the solenoid wire terminal and the black lead on the bracket mounting screw. The resistance should read between 11-15 ohms. Anything outside of this range and you need to replace it. Another way to check, if you don't have a multimeter, is to pull each solenoid individually and wire to the battery. They should "click" if they are operational.

There are other diagnosis methods, checking shift lag, line pressure, throttle cable, TPS, etc. But let us know what you find out, to help others as well.

I'm working through a transmission issue on a 95 XJ right now and will post up what I find fixes it too.

Also I just wanted to ask if mine would have the aw4 or not I looked it up for a long time but couldn't get what I felt was a definite answer.
I went to the local pick n' Pull to get the shift solenoid but I was told that the 97 was year specific and drivetrain specific? But I had already snagged some off an 01 4wd and figured I might as well take em home they might fit.
P.S. I haven't opened my trans pan yet since I didn't know if it was right.

Unless your XJ had some crazy transplant, I'm sure it is a AW4, as that is the only Auto Jeep used in the later years. And yes those solenoids should work, as most parts in a AW4 are pretty generic across the years. Hell you can even use most parts from a Toyota A340 trans if you wanted too.

Not exactly sure. I know an upgraded version was in the N/A Supra and an even stronger version was in the TT Supra.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask but which color wire is my tcm power supply? I found this video on YouTube I wanted to try where you make 1-2 1st gear, a switch for 2nd that tricks solenoid b, And 3rd is 3rd

What I have to do is wire the power supply to a switch and the switch to the solenoid b wire with a diode between the switch and the tcm. Does this sound correct?

If you want to check your TCM input circuits you can go by the TCM pin out and test procedures below.

The pin out gives the power input wire colors.

Visio-tcmpinout.jpg

TCMChecks.jpg

Back